Re: 185:5: INVALID, +1.4

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 11:12:04 PDT

Aron Wall <aron_at_wall.org> writes:

> It grows increasingly clear that the FRC consists almost entirely of
> extremely depraved individuals.  They are only concerned with the
> success of themselves and their own rules, and are perfectly caspable of
> putting forward the most blatantly illogical and absurd arguments that
> their own rules should be VALID with high style--but for other people's
> rules, they do just the opposite.  For the first 75 rounds since I
> joined, I had high hopes that they would shape up, that they would be
> able to rule themselves in a peaceful, democratic fashion.  But now I
> realize that human nature is completely corrupt, unable to provide
> happiness for themselves or others.  What? Do you think that these
> bastions of wickedness are happy?  Why then do they continue to fight
> for honor in future rounds no matter how much they have recieved in
> previous rounds?  It is an inherantly futile effort.  Everyone loses,
> even the winners.  If the masses are completely corrupt, only an
> absolute ruling power can keep them in line.  The Leviathan.  The Judge.
>
> However, it has come to my attention that the Judge does not yet have
> absolute power.  While there is a limit to what one rule can do, there
> is a drastic remedy that this rule shall take that will bring the Judge
> much greater power.  I feel confident that the Judge, in light of my
> carefully reasoned treatise on human nature, will accept this increased
> power.
>
> Future rules shall all be INVALID due to inconsistancy with this rule.
> That is, they should all be declared INVALID the first time.  The Judge
> is perfectly able to make them VALID by a reruling, and presumably shall
> for any rules that he likes.  But no more of this nonsense about
> consistency automatically earning a place among the ruleset.  Forget
> about consistancy.  All that matters is whether the (nearly)
> omnicompetent Judge does or does not like your rule.

JUDGEMENT: This rule asserts that all future rules will be
inconsistent with this rule (herein referred to as the "inconsistency
assertion").  Suppose rule 185:n is consistent with all *other*
provisions of 185:5 (and all other rules and ROs).  Then 185:n is
VALID if it is consistent with the inconsistency assertion.  But then
according to the inconsistency assertion, 185:n is INVALID.  On the
other hand, 185:n is INVALID if it is inconsistent with the
inconsistency assertion, i.e., if it is VALID.  Hence this rule would
require the Judge to find 185:n simultaneously VALID and INVALID,
contrary to the ROs.  Therefore 185:5 is INVALID.

A second problem with this rule is its own self-inconsistency: It
asserts that future rules must be declared INVALID due to
inconsistency with 185:5, and then goes on to say consistency does not
matter.

STYLE: The rule starts well before bogging down in its own paradoxes.
Then there's the matter of spelling.  +1.4.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY