Re: Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam... (fwd)

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 11:38:02 PDT

"Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)" <jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com> writes:

> --
> Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)

While the second provision looks at first sight somewhat bizarre, it
actually makes sense in the context of the ROs.  Basically the Judge
is the only player empowered to do anything other than submit fantasy
rules, and submit and vote on proposals.  And there is ALWAYS a
Judge.

The ROs should not specify the forum, because the forum could cease to
be available without warning; there needs to be a mechanism to react
to that -- a mechanism by which the forum can be changed without the
necessity of using the forum to do so.  You can't take a vote of the
members if there is no forum available in which to do so.

On the other hand, a Proposal directing the Judge to make a change to
the Forum probably would have legal force, and certainly would be one
way of gauging the desireability of such a change.  I will issue such
a Proposal.

RO#10 runs into trouble if the forum becomes unavailable, AND the
Judge cannot or will not take action to change the forum, but that's
an unlikely scenario, so filling this gap is probably not urgent.
Aside from that, I believe RO#10 works fine as is.

Another issue: Can and should email addresses be disguised in the FRC
archives kept online by Jeff Weston?

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY