RE: Round 206 final summary VALID +1.75

From: Alan Riddell (peekee_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 13:30:46 PDT

Behalf
> Of Jesse Welton
> Sent: 14 April 2003 14:39
> To: Fantasy Rules Committee
> Subject: Re: Round 206 final summary VALID +1.75
>
> "Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)" wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 13 Apr 2003, Nathan Russell wrote:
> >
> > > --On Saturday, April 12, 2003 10:31 PM -0500 bd

> > > I'd like opinions on this one - is there a precedence for
restrictions
> on
> > > the *medium* in which messages are sent?
> >
> > I don't see any conflicts with itself, previously posted valid
fantasy
> > rules, or the regular ordinances. It looks valid to me. If you don't
> like
> > the restriction, you can always dock style points.
>
> The only possible conflict I can see is with the Judge's determination
> of the nature of the committee forum under RO 10.  Personally, I
> wouldn't consider there to be a conflict.  I would say the rule just
> specifies a format in which all rules must be INVALID.

That is a bit of an assumption (although arguably in theme with the
round). Who is to say that a member's ideas on what Utopia should be
like are actually placing restrictions?

Is it inconsistent for Player A's Utopia to have all Rules contain the
letter z, but for some Rules not to contain the letter z? Or is it
inconsistent with Player B's Utopia in which no Rules contain the letter
z?

The answer to the first seems to be yes but provided that the Rules of
this round try to fit with every members Utopia (or at least the aspect
of them they mention in rules). The answer to the second is yes only if
Player A's Utopia and Player B's Utopia are in someway the same Utopia,
or influence some other system, such that aspect of each utopia are
present in that system.  (e.g. the rules as in the answer to the first
question.)

This probably makes little sense, hope someone manages to pull something
coherent out of it...  Well at least in my Utopia they would be able to
consider it consistent.

Peekee