Re: Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam...

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen (arnt_at_gulbrandsen.priv.no)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 04:40:21 PDT

Arnt Gulbrandsen writes:
> Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) schrieb:
>> On 8 Apr 2003, Richard S. Holmes wrote:
>>>  While I do not know whether the size of FRC's penis really matters,
>>>  I do know I don't need more spam than I already get.
>>>
>>>  So why isn't the FRC list configured to reject posts from non-subscribers?
>
> Hasn't seemed like enough of a good idea. If noone minds I could do
> it, but when a list has run for years without that setting, it
> typically generates problems.

After some consideration: I wouldn't do that on its own. Combined with a
move, it makes sense, but not on its own. Some spammers are already
using scraped address pairs, which defeats that setting, and I expect
that to incease.

These are the alternatives:

  a) I move you to a different address, using the same software except
with even stricter settings

  b) I help move you over to nomic.net

  c) keep the status quo

Note that in case a) you keep your Rule Date line, and in case b) you
may be able to get a reply-to pointing back to the list. In both cases
I'd forward mail for a few days, not more.

Your choice.

If you decide on a move, I'd like to do it on "1 May 2003 1233-EDT": the
25th anniversary of the the first known spam.

--Arnt