Re: Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam...

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen (arnt_at_gulbrandsen.priv.no)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 15:18:33 PDT

Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) schrieb:
> On 8 Apr 2003, Richard S. Holmes wrote:
>>  While I do not know whether the size of FRC's penis really matters,
>>  I do know I don't need more spam than I already get.
>>
>>  So why isn't the FRC list configured to reject posts from non-subscribers?

Hasn't seemed like enough of a good idea. If noone minds I could do it,
but when a list has run for years without that setting, it typically
generates problems.

> Good question. Is anything being done to combat the growing spam problem?

Three or four blacklists plus spamassassin IIRC. Not, of course, as much
as I'd like to do, but the amount of spam that's stopped is absolutely
staggering.

The FRC submission address is a good way behind my own 700 spams per
day, but it too is well above 100/day now, before the filters take
their toll. The FRC submission address is old as the hills and listed
in a lot of spammer databases.

>  There's been a discussion on the Nomic Bulletin Board [1] about FRC
> and the amount of spam we get. There was an offer from the
> administrator of nomic.net to host a spam-free mailing list for FRC.
> Would there be any interest in persuing such an offer?

Changing to a new list, with no forwarding from the old submission
address, will kill the problem for a while. Make sure that the new
submission address isn't visible in web archives, and never refer to
the list as 'frc_at_wherever', refer to it as 'the frc list', mentioning
only the frc-request address on the web.

I'll be happy to keep you at Trolltech, of course.

--Arnt