176:4 VALID, +2.0

From: Stephen Turner (sret1_at_ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 11:56:31 PST

176:4                                                          VALID  +2.0
Factitious                                             2002-02-01 00:23:06

    Fantasy math is equipped to deal with problems others consider
insolvable.  For example, dividing by 0 is often considered to be taboo.  We
can get around this by defining the constant j as the inverse of 0, so that
0
times j is equal to 1.  This makes possible new solutions to many difficult
equations, as can be shown by the following proof that there is a value x
satisfying 0x - 4 = 9:

 0x - 4 = 9
 0x = 12
 x = 12j
QED

    Numbers containing j are not considered real, but are part of the set of
fantasy numbers.  Future rules must each contain at least 1 fantasy number.
<<<<<

Judgement: No problems.

Style: Great, we've now got some new fantasy maths introduced -- we'll see
what effect introducing infinities has in future. Also makes a restriction
on future rules. And it uses base 11.

Stephen Turner, Cambridge, UK    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adelie/stephen/
"This is Henman's 8th Wimbledon, and he's only lost 7 matches." BBC, 2/Jul/01