Re: Judgement 180:4 INVALID 0

From: Aron Wall (aron_at_wall.org)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 14:54:30 PST

"Richard S. Holmes" wrote:

> Aron Wall <aron_at_wall.org> writes:
>
> > It was late last night when I issued that judgement, so I probably didn't
> > explain my reasoning very well.  I fully agree with your statement that
> > rule 180:2 becomes:
> >
> > "A rule containing the word Splitsplotsplinksplonk shall never have its
> > description [The bracketed one] after it."
> >
> > However, this seems to imply the existance of some object called the
> > description of a rule [the one in brackets] that cannot precede the rule.
> >  The use of the definite article and the specification that the bracketed
> > description is meant both seem to indicate to me that this bracketed
> > description of a rule actually exists, at least for rules 2, 3, & 4.
> > However I do not see that this is the case.  If I'm missing something and
> > there is such a thing as the description of each of these rules that makes
> > sense, please tell me.
>
> Thank you for the clarification.  You're right, this makes it
> considerably clearer what you are objecting to.  I still don't
> understand why you find it objectionable, however.
>
> The fact that the bracketed description of a rule is neither described
> nor demonstrated by the preceding rules is no reason to suppose such a
> thing does not exist.  Would you invalidate the first rule of a
> round if it stated
>
>   No future rule shall mention the purple cow
>
> on the grounds that the purple cow's existence had not been
> established first?
>
> --
> - Rich Holmes
>   Syracuse, NY

I would rule that rule VALID, but what would you do with this rule:

"All rules, including this one, shall avoid putting their question mark (the
one inside of the parentheses) after the letter x."

It is one thing to create an imaginary object not yet discussed to date; it is
another thing to refer to non-existant attributes of previous rules.

The Judge.