Re: Judgement 180:4 INVALID 0

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 19:07:31 PST

Aron Wall <aron_at_wall.org> writes:

> It is one thing to create an imaginary object not yet discussed to date; it is
> another thing to refer to non-existant attributes of previous rules.

Let us return to the reinterpreted rule in question:

  A rule containing the word Splitsplotsplinksplonk shall never have
  its description [The bracketed one] after it.

Nothing in this rule or any other rule asserts that every rule must
have a description or that such a description, if it exists, must be a
part of the rule it describes.  That being the case, it's a
misinterpretation to insist that this rule refers to a "non-existent
attribute of previous rules".

And so what if it does?  Referring to non-existent objects is not in
itself inconsistent.  To say

  Rule descriptions do not exist.  All future rules must include a
  rule description.

certainly *is* inconsistent.  But

  Rule descriptions do not exist.  No future rules may include a
  rule description.

is not.

Finally, and I hesitate to point this out because it reveals what
might be regarded as a weakness in my rule, the above reinterpreted
rule is ambiguous, because the pronouns "its" and "it" have two valid
possibilities for their antecedents: "A rule" and "the word
Splitsplotsplinksplonk".  We both have assumed the first, applied to
both pronouns, but the second, applied to both pronouns *or* just to
"its", is grammatically and syntactically plausible; to make it more
explicit, under these two interpretations the rule can be reworded

  A rule containing the word Splitsplotsplinksplonk shall never have
  the word Splitsplotsplinksplonk's description [The bracketed one]
  after the word Splitsplotsplinksplonk.

or

  A rule containing the word Splitsplotsplinksplonk shall never have
  the word Splitsplotsplinksplonk's description [The bracketed one]
  after the rule.

Given that the word Splitsplotsplinksplonk does indeed have a
bracketed description, this provides an interpretation of the
reinterpreted rule that does not refer to "non-existent attributes of
previous rules" and is, I believe, entirely consistent with all rules
and ROs.  So even if 180:4 leads to an inconsistency using the first
interpretation -- and I do not believe the Judge has demonstrated that
-- that claimed inconsistency does not exist under a different,
equally possible interpretation of the reinterpreted 180:2.  Therefore
180:4 should be VALID.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY