Re: Judgement 180:4 INVALID 0

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 04:54:02 PST

Aron Wall <aron_at_wall.org> writes:

> It was late last night when I issued that judgement, so I probably didn't
> explain my reasoning very well.  I fully agree with your statement that
> rule 180:2 becomes:
>
> "A rule containing the word Splitsplotsplinksplonk shall never have its
> description [The bracketed one] after it."
>
> However, this seems to imply the existance of some object called the
> description of a rule [the one in brackets] that cannot precede the rule.
>  The use of the definite article and the specification that the bracketed
> description is meant both seem to indicate to me that this bracketed
> description of a rule actually exists, at least for rules 2, 3, & 4.
> However I do not see that this is the case.  If I'm missing something and
> there is such a thing as the description of each of these rules that makes
> sense, please tell me.

Thank you for the clarification.  You're right, this makes it
considerably clearer what you are objecting to.  I still don't
understand why you find it objectionable, however.

The fact that the bracketed description of a rule is neither described
nor demonstrated by the preceding rules is no reason to suppose such a
thing does not exist.  Would you invalidate the first rule of a
round if it stated

  No future rule shall mention the purple cow

on the grounds that the purple cow's existence had not been
established first?

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY