Re: what the unexpected consequence in 221:e was supposed to

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.syr.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 19:24:03 PST

be  VALID, +1.0
From: rsholmes_at_rodan.syr.edu (Richard S. Holmes)
Date: 05 Feb 2004 22:23:52 -0500

David nicol <whatever_at_davidnicol.com> writes:

> Wow.
>
> The intention of the player posting 221:e was to redefine "posting"
> from "single posting" to "double posting" and 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 were
> together intended to be construed as a single, double-posted rule.
>
> That I went and did that was supposed to be an unexpected
> consequence of The Judge deciding to interpret the two postings
> of 221:b as separate submissions rather than one submission: he
> (unexpectedly) triggered a protesting-response against his
> literalist iron fist which would then mean More Work (the
> consequence.)
>
> It appears that His Honor Rich Holmes is persisting in seeing a
> strict one-to-one relationship between messages posted to the list
> and plays. I do not agree with this but I am a new player and
> not familiar with established custom. Anyway we don't appear
> to be completely solid with our division between game play and
> meta-play -- which is certainly no problem here, but is merely
> curious, and this posting attempts to clarify the situation,
> for certain definitions of "clarify."
>
> JAE's later posting titled "anecdote 221:d" seems to explicitly
> make the same point -- Having The Same Subject Line is no longer
> meaningful -- it is not clear to this player if that posting was
> intended as a play or not
>
> Here's a proposal: during round 221, ALL list traffic except
> that originating with His Honor and that with subject lines clearly
> identifying it as responses to posts from His Honor (that
> is, prefixing the subject of a Richard Holmes post with /Re: /)
> are to be construed as game play; only the ones deemed VALID will
> restrict play.
>
> The required moral, applicable to many situations, is, a bird in the
> hand is worth two in the bush.
>

> Wow.
>
> The intention of the player posting 221:e was to redefine "posting"
> from "single posting" to "double posting" and 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 were
> together intended to be construed as a single, double-posted rule.
>
> That I went and did that was supposed to be an unexpected
> consequence of The Judge deciding to interpret the two postings
> of 221:b as separate submissions rather than one submission: he
> (unexpectedly) triggered a protesting-response against his
> literalist iron fist which would then mean More Work (the
> consequence.)
>
> It appears that His Honor Rich Holmes is persisting in seeing a
> strict one-to-one relationship between messages posted to the list
> and plays. I do not agree with this but I am a new player and
> not familiar with established custom. Anyway we don't appear
> to be completely solid with our division between game play and
> meta-play -- which is certainly no problem here, but is merely
> curious, and this posting attempts to clarify the situation,
> for certain definitions of "clarify."
>
> JAE's later posting titled "anecdote 221:d" seems to explicitly
> [...]

This seems to attempt to be a Rule and a Proposal both at the same
time, which is, to say the least, quaint.  But not contrary to the
R.O.s in any way I can see.  I will interpret the paragraph beginning
"Here's a proposal" as an Override Proposal (#221.1), voting on which
is now open; until and unless it passes, the proposed clarification of
the R.O.s shall have no effect.  Without the words "Here's a proposal"
I probably would have regarded this paragraph as a fantasy rule
restriction, and likely an invalid one,

I vote AGAINST this proposal.

Validity: Contains unexpected consequences relating to previous
rules.  Contains a moral (not needed) and a duplicate posting (also
not needed).  No problems.  VALID.

Style: Overly long, and confusing with its combination of Rule and
Proposal.  No new restriction.  But... David, is this your first
round?  If so I hadn't realized, and will apply your new player style
bonus here: +1.0.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Parish, NY