Re: 211:6 -- INVALID, Style -1.0

From: dallas368_at_comcast.net
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 05:50:06 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Gardner" <gardner_at_sng.its.monash.edu.au>
To: "The Fantasy Rules Committee" <frc_at_oryx.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 10:48 PM
Subject: 211:6 -- INVALID, Style -1.0

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 dallas368_at_comcast.net wrote:
>
> > Rule 211:5, in its annoying restriction, has failed to realize a
> > loophole. I state the following:
> >
> > This rule occurs on Feb. 18th, 1998.
> >
> > For the purposes of this round, any post to the FRC fourm whatsoever
> > is considered to be a commendation of this rule.
> >
> > I also impose the following restriction: No other restrictions,
> > besides any one (if any) in 211:1, 211:2, 211:3, 211:4, 211:5, and
> > 211:6 are allowed in this round.
>

> Judgement: INVALID
>
> I doubt that the attempt to make 211:6 occur in the past is successful.
> However, since 211:5 is invalid, it doesn't matter either way.
>
> The provision that that any posts to the FRC forum count as
> "commendations" of 211:6 does not mean that any post to the FRC forum
> (e.g. my previous post Judging 211:5) will satisfy the requirements of
> 211:4. 211:4 requires that Rules receive the personal commendation of
> Rich Holmes, not just any commendation whatever. However, since 72 hours
> have not passed since 211:6 was submitted, it is still possible that
> Rich might grant this Rule his personal commendation. So we cannot say
> the Rule is invalid on that score.
>
> It is questionable that the proposed restriction is really dirty and
> underhanded, since it merely forbids any further restrictions. That
> might make the rest of the Round rather dull, but it wouldn't make it
> especially difficult.
>
> However, the failure of 211:6 to state "This Rule is invalid." is
> clear-cut.
>
> Style:
>
> +0.5      retroactivity is an interesting idea, if not a successful one.
> -0.5      botched attempt to get around 211:4.
> -0.5      restriction a bit dull and not sufficiently evil.
> -0.5      poor spelling; 'fourm' should read 'forum'.
> =====
> -1.0      TOTAL
>
> --
>

> Steve Gardner                   |
> School of Computer Science      |      I've only just realized
>  and Software Engineering       |      how self-conscious I am.
> gardner_at_sng.its.monash.edu.au   |

Clearly, the whole rule depends on weather or not the retroactivity was
sucessful. If it was sucessful, the rule would be before 211:1, 2, 3, 4, and
5. Thus, it would not be bound by their restrictions, and it would only be
bound by the restrictions of the ROs. This might make a good theme for the
next round.