Round 202 Final Summary

From: James Willson (jkvw3_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 03:31:29 PST

Alan Riddell is the winner of round 202 and is our new judge and wizard.

  202:1  Steve Gardner   VALID   +1.0  2003-02-12 05:42:45 GMT
  202:2  Alan Riddell    VALID   +1.5  2003-02-12 12:44:40 GMT
  202:3  Ed Murphy      INVALID  +0.5  2003-02-13 06:04:19 GMT

<202:1 Steve Gardner VALID +1.0 2003-02-12 05:42:45 GMT>

A theme of 'begging the question' begs the question of what exactly is
meant by 'begging the question', since the term is understood
differently by different people. I propose that we settle, or at least
explore, this question.

Therefore, each Rule in this round should both suggest, and instantiate,
an answer to this question, not necessarily the same answer!

For myself, I propose that the authoritative answer to the question of
what constitutes begging the question is to be found in that
authoritative source for all FRC-related questions, the FRC Regulations.
And what makes me think that that the FRC Regulations are the
authoritative source for all FRC-related questions?  It says so in the
FRC Regulations!

<Ruling>

Does it suggest an answer?  Pointing us to the "FRC Regulations"
should be sufficient.  How about the instantiation of an answer?
This may be more tricky for me, as I'm not used to using the term
in this less technical context, but there certainly appears to be
an instantiation in the first clause of the first sentence.

VALID, style +1.0

<202:2 Alan Riddell VALID +1.5 2003-02-12 12:44:40 GMT>

Although Steve's Proposed answer to what is meant by "begging the question"
is very well he is being slightly narrow minded, he should also use his
commonsense. We should all use commonsense after all it is only sensible to
do so. Commonsense tells me that to study this question I should consider
the individual words then the phrase as a whole.

Begging means to ask for charity.
Question means an expression of inquiry that invites or calls for a reply.

The Question implies it is the most important question namely "What is the
meaning of life?", an to ask for charity from it must mean, to ask for help
in finding meaning in your life.

Future Rules shall point flaws in the answers given by other Rules.

<Ruling>

202:1 gave an example of begging the question for some meaning
of "begging the question", but also used the phrase "begging
the question" in a context where it took on a specific meaning.
202:2 gives us an example, but no actual usage.  Is that enough
for "instantiation"?  With uncertainty, I'll err on the side of
validity.  Of course, for all we know, "begging the question"
could have any number of meanings, so this interpretation may
make the instantiation requirement rather easy to follow.

VALID; style +1.5

<202:3 Ed Murphy INVALID +0.5 2003-02-13 06:04:19 GMT>

Begging the question is what one does in an argument when one assumes what
one claims to be proving.  This definition is taken from the Skeptic's
Dictionary, and we all know that dictionaries are always right, right?

If you're going to claim that something is in the FRC Regulations, then
you really ought to specify /where/ in the FRC Regulations it is.  (The
definition given above is quoted verbatim from the URL
http://skepdic.com/begging.html - main body of text - first paragraph.)

Future rules will contain exactly one line less than the previous rule,
unless some previous rule contains exactly one line.  Brevity is the
soul of wit, anyhow.

<Ruling>
202:1 says rules "should" suggest and instantiate.
202:3 says you "ought to" specify.
Are these requirements, or mere suggestions which can be ignored
without pain of invalidity?
Is there any difference between "should" and "ought to"?I think I'll read them
as requirements.  If this isn't how
things "ought" to be handled here in FRC land, we'll probably
have to fix it with a proposal, since I think I'm pushing the
three day judging limit here.  Anyway, by this reading,
202:3 is invalid since claims were made about things being
in the FRC regulations in 201:1.

INVALID; style +0.5