Re: 202:3 INVALID +0.5

From: Ed Murphy (emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 23:43:59 PST

James Willson <jkvw3_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> > If you're going to claim that something is in the FRC Regulations, then
> > you really ought to specify /where/ in the FRC Regulations it is.  (The
> > definition given above is quoted verbatim from the URL
> > http://skepdic.com/begging.html - main body of text - first paragraph.)

> 202:1 says rules "should" suggest and instantiate.
> 202:3 says you "ought to" specify.
> Are these requirements, or mere suggestions which can be ignored
> without pain of invalidity?
> Is there any difference between "should" and "ought to"?I think I'll read them
> as requirements.  If this isn't how
> things "ought" to be handled here in FRC land, we'll probably
> have to fix it with a proposal, since I think I'm pushing the
> three day judging limit here.  Anyway, by this reading,
> 202:3 is invalid since claims were made about things being
> in the FRC regulations in 201:1.

You're saying that 202:3 imposes a requirement that 202:1 does not
follow, hence 202:3 is inconsistent with 202:1, hence 202:3 is
invalid.  Okay, I follow that.  But what if "going to" implicitly
restricts the scope of 202:3's requirement to future rules?

--
Ed Murphy <emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com>          "I'm not sure I can go through
http://members.fortunecity.com/emurphy/      with it.  Leave, I mean."