185:3

From: Jonathan Van Matre (JVanMatre_at_oslp.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 08:16:53 PDT

It has again come to the attention of the FRC Oversight Committee that
recent rounds have contained an inordinate number of errors, ranging
from the merely grammatical to errors in judgement.  For example, use of
the non-word "proceedure" and an ill-advised pun on the name of the
current pontiff and an obscure Texas Libertarian politician were both
committed in the previous round.  Therefore, all FRC members are
enjoined to take corrective action whenever they discern an error
committed by another member of the FRC.

However, FRC members are advised to remain cautious of committing
slander, libel, or defamation.  Please bear in mind the three criteria
for defamation:

1) The statement must be untrue,
2) The statement must be communicated to a third party, and
3) The statement must be demonstrably harmful to the reputation of the
victim.

For the purposes of this round, a player's total accumulated Style
points in the round will be considered a reflection of eir Reputation.

Players may submit Rules claiming damages for defamation.  Any rule
found guilty of defamation (as a result of the rule claiming defamation
being ruled VALID) will have its ruling changed to INVALID as
punishment.  At the Judge's discretion, Style/Reputation points may also
be adjusted as a further penalty or compensation for harm from
defamation.

<non-rule commentary>
Well, blimey if I didn't miss one little (but crucial) problem with this
the first time around.  At least I wasn't the only one who missed it.  I
gather it's generally considered gauche to resubmit the same rule here,
but I'm really interested to see how this plays out, so here's what I
hope is a working, valid version.
</non-rule commentary>