Re: Rule 185:1: INVALID, +1.7

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 08:07:04 PDT

"Jonathan Van Matre" <JVanMatre_at_oslp.com> writes:

> <this is not a rule>
> I beg to differ.  It only describes a special case that would be true
> anyway if Rule 185:1 is VALID.  Under RO6, rules must be consistent with
> previous rules.  Therefore, all subsequent rules that claim defamation
> must be consistent with the criteria for defamation set out in rule 1,
> if rule 1 is VALID.  It's not changing the criteria for validity, only
> elaborating on them.
> </this is not a rule>

The relevant text is:

> >  The Judge
> > out above,

The defamation criteria alluded to do not include any requirement of
consistency with all restrictions imposed by the rule itself, all
previous rules, and the ROs.  The criteria therefore are less
stringent than those established by the ROs: A rule that was
inconsistent with the ROs, but consistent with your defamation
criteria, must be declared INVALID according to the ROs but VALID
according to 185.1.  This is an inconsistency with the ROs which
invalidates 185.1.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY