216:07 VALID +0.75

From: Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) (jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 22:16:59 PDT

Renumbered from 216:06 to 216:07.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Neat! Rule 6³:6!
>
> ----begin 216:6----
> I can reveal that among the subscribers to this list, one finds a
> certain hostmaster_at_verisign.com.
>
> Surprising, perhaps, but there you have it.
>
> However, since the Verisign Hostmaster controls the .com zone, and thus
> oryx.com, and does so from a computer (a.root-servers.net) located at a
> secret location with more than twenty backups all over the world, I'm
> afraid giant orbital mirrors are of no use, precisely like the root
> password, that inconvenient combination lock or the power utility's big
> red "Kill FRC" button. If the list host is shut down, the Verisign
> Hostmaster can simply take over the domain and run the list elsewhere.
>
> I suppose I'm the winner of this round, because who can possibly find a
> Power yet Higher than Verisign?
> ----end----
>
> (It should perhaps be noted that oryx.com is not a verisign customer. We
> use easydns.com and are very happy. Not as cheap as, say, godaddy, but
> IMO its reliability and customer service justifies the price.)
>
> --Arnt

Validity: Proves Arnt Gulbrandsen from 216:01, Richard S. Holmes from
216:03, Arnt Gulbrandsen from 216:04, and Nathan Russell from 216:06 all
wrong by providing a higher power. The specified power is higher than that
of the previous valid Rule and has not been named before: Verisign. While
I originally considered whether or not a dedicated Nathan Russell with an
orbital mirror could take out all the root servers, the orbital mind
control lasers have ordered me to be nice today, so I'll assume that all
of the root servers in all of their respective secret locations could not
be destroyed. Rule is VALID.

FNORD

Style: More buildup. The Verisign gauntlet has been thrown down. However,
the restriction appears to be just an obfuscated form of the recurring
restriction, and is again redundant. +0.75

--
Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)