Re: Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam... (fwd)

From: Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) (jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 08:25:00 PDT

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> 1. The list can be made easy to find for anyone using google.
>
> 2. It will be equally easy to subscribe, because the subscription
> address (frc-request_at_mumble) will be on the web.
>
> 3. On subscription, the subscribers will be told that frc_at_mumble is the
> submission address. I assume this will not cause much surprise.
>
> 4. The fewer times an address is visible on the web, the less spam it
> receives. With a little bit of cooperation and care, it's possible to
> keep that number near zero.

Some other things that will help:

When someone tries to subscribe to the list, send them a confirmation
email. Force them to respond to the confirmation in order to subscribe.
Only allow those that are subscribed to post messages to the list.
Spammers won't go through that much trouble just to get spam sent to the
list. You'll still be liable to receive spam from spammers using the email
address of someone already subscribed. Hopefully that won't be a huge
problem though...

--
Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)