Monkeys, people, and kissing

From: Glenn Overby II (guardcaptain_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 07:14:56 PST

Jonathan Van Matre writes:

>The monkey *is* an imaginative workaround, but do you consider a monkey
>a person?  I specified exactly two *people* in 174:2.

Actually, you made two kissing specifications in 174:2...

"...will indicate a set of two people who plan to kiss each other exclusively, at
midnight..."

"...midnight will not arrive until each villager has a kissing partner."

The first requires two people, satisfied by Sheila and Bruce in 174:3.  The second
does not require people, so the monkey could be George's "kissing partner" for
the purpose of bringing on midnight.

>There are, incidentally, other ways of getting to midnight.  A "person"
>need not necessarily be a "villager", for example.

Yes.  And a "partner" needs not be a "person" for getting to midnight, as long as
the rule has also specified a set of two "people" to kiss.

Thanks for asking!

Da Judge

Glenn E. Overby II
Clinton Twp, MI, USA

=====

Icehouse Games Pages (take the IcePoll!)
http://home.earthlink.net/~guardcaptain/IceGames.html