Hey All!

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

lordreaibn

Hey All!

Post by lordreaibn »

I created a universe primarily for use in my D&D games, but I have been aching to get it on paper in book form. I then realized... this would be my perfect medium. Pardon my imperfections, and please feel free to add options and take it your own direction, but this is the beginning of the story (take the last option):

http://www.sir-toby.com/extend-a-story/ ... sode=20917

I will be adding to it as I can (have to work too hahah).

Thank you for reading! Comments welcome.
JH

Post by JH »

Looks interesting. :)
JH
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

Thank you. Should have at least one more episode up this afternoon.
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

Extended

and again
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

posted another today. shoudl have a site up soon with more information about the world that this takes place in, but here is a little:

Caeln is the name of the planet that Fred and Astra are on. It is mostly land, with only one known ocean rumored to exist. Numerous underground springs provide the water that is needed for survival. There are also lakes, rivers, and seas.

Caeln is a high-magic world, and exists in a GR (greater reality) in which magic is a flow. It is not controlled by any deity, and resists long-term manipulation by both mortal and immortal alike. On Caeln there are dungeons and dragons, and almost anything you could imagine is possible because of the power of the Fae (the magic flow).

Long term exposure to the magic flow has created many fae-born and fae-touched races on Caeln. Accepted in varying degrees on the planet, their interaction with mortals is limited by a secret document known as The Agreement that very little is known about.

The Dead Waste (the land where Fred and Astra are) is a huge land bordered on the north by the only known Ocean on Caeln. It is unmapped, its size unknown. It is bordered on the south, east, and west by huge mountain ranges,

Travelers Pointe is the name for the city that lies at the very center of the Dead Waste. Supposedly, it was founded by the locals, who call themself Demense ith Sahde which, being translated, means 'The People of the Dark' or 'Cursed of the Dark'. It is the only city that is commonly traveled by people of the Kingdoms. It even has a portal stone linking it to Vishai and Mahejicar, although the Mahejicar portal stone is not working and the Vishai stone has been on the fritz and requires a personal stabilizing key.

The city has several main sections, mainly divided by race. Humans and dwarves (who, dispite the danger, love the waste for the rich mineral deposits rumored to be there) make up the majority of the city, stretching from the east gate to west of the main north-south road. The northwest corner of the city is comprised of a hodge-podge of fae-born, mainly consisting of half-breeds who have fled the major countries to escape oppression. The strangest part of the city is the small southwest corner, which is a massive series of Goblin encampments. they live peacefully with the other groups, being some of the only known homestead of the Touched Ones, the group of Goblins who were blessed with extraordinary intelligence by the gods during the second time of great strife. Finding no home in Talos, Valdar, or Ean, they fled west into the waste and moved on until eventually joining the then-fledgling community of Travelers Pointe.

more information will be provided as time goes on. feel free to use any of this as reference should you choose to take up this story with me. :)
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

Its been a few days, but I extended.

http://www.sir-toby.com/extend-a-story/ ... sode=74264
JH

Post by JH »

I'm following the story with interest. As far as contributing is concerned, I think that I would find that difficult, because I'd be afraid of writing something that didn't "fit". It's the difference between being in from the start when a world is being developed and trying to write for one which is already fully fleshed out.
JH
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

I'm feeling kind of the same way as JH, though I have read with interest. Might muster up enough moxy to add a little something.

I would want do justice to what you've already contributed, however.
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

I am deeply honored by you both, and anyone else who cares to read. Let me just say though that if you feel froggy, go ahead and leap (ugh, I dont know why I had to do that hahaha) and create away.

Do you think that more background information would help? If so, just ask and I will either post that info here or do a 'Remember' extension or a 'meanwhile' extension in-story to give you that info. It would be my pleasure.

I would also be more than happy to provide information on the various kingdoms, the planet itself, the setting, whatever. I have basically been working on this as a campaign setting since the 9th grade, so I have a lot of information I can share if you are interested.
lordreaibn

ALSO!

Post by lordreaibn »

I also just thought of this. You really cant go wrong at this point because the Dead Waste is in its current condition largely because of a massive war. Raw Chaos was brought to bear against gods, magical creatures, and men/elves/ other races alike. The Dead Waste is a very chaotic place, and although I would prefer things not to get tooooo silly (although, lots, feel free to do so we can always create another extension that isnt hehehe) there is definitely room for you to use your imagination.

Bottom line though: you arent going to hurt my feelings. reading and possibly interacting with my world with others is an awesome thing to me.
JH

Post by JH »

I think that, because you've been working on this for so long, there will inevitably be a large amount of background info that you know and we won't, however much documentation you provide. That's what makes it difficult. It's much easier when everyone is just making it all up as we go along.
JH
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

JH wrote:I think that, because you've been working on this for so long, there will inevitably be a large amount of background info that you know and we won't, however much documentation you provide. That's what makes it difficult. It's much easier when everyone is just making it all up as we go along.
should i continue then?

I do agree with you. and of course no one is obligated (ever) to extend anyones episodes. i was just thinking that you dont necessarily need all the info, just enough to get a general idea. i am doing this free-imagination after all, not transcribing a story or fitting fred and astra into a pre-done structure.

that being said, i definitely see where you are coming from.
JH

Post by JH »

Well I'm enjoying reading it, and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't continue. After all, it's not as though the NEQ is limited to some maximum number of episodes, so your adding episodes doesn't deprive anyone else of the ability to do so. (Unless Sir Toby was to run out of disk space, which I don't suppose is likely to happen any time soon.)
JH
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

i shall continue on then :)

i am going to do some background stuff, just to flesh out the story, but i dont want to just 'throw it in' so im going to try to have it 'flow'
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

extended