Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

Well, I finally managed to fulfil one of my longtime ambitions and write another episode off the very long, very complicated Tales of the Borderlands thread. Hopefully it's alright. I suspect this is the longest single episode I've ever written. As some of my recent episodes were a bit too confusing, I erred on the side of making things clear. For those who haven't been following this thread, the episode this was written off of (50185) is a good basic summary, and I made sure to cross-reference all the really obscure stuff.

By the way, the reference to the skeletal whale was based on a Japanese legend.
JH

Post by JH »

Nice episode. :)

Reading it, I did remember one thing that might be relevant. When I created the ghost of Lady Alice de Vere and had her give Fred that cryptic message, I had envisaged her as being good. IIRC, as the story subsequently turned out she was revealed to be a thing of evil, and that might raise the question of whether, even if her message could be correctly interpreted, it should be trusted.
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

I made a minor edit to clarify Fred's motives for being against the war. As to the ghost, Carradene basically told Lord Fred not to trust her words. It's not clear whether she's totally evil, though, or only vengeful against the dwarves.
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

Also: is this the first episode where Astra's father has appeared onscreen?
JH

Post by JH »

Could be.

Of course, even if Lady Alice de Vere is evil, she may have been forced to give that message by a greater - good - power.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

A few more thoughts:

Presumably the King and Fred's father know about his impregnation of Astra, as they have heard his full story, and don't see it as a bar to his marrying the Princess, given that Astra is believed to be dead. (I suspect that Allaria has double standards when it comes to permissable male and female behaviour.) However the Princess probably won't have been told about it. Fred being the man of honour that he is, will feel duty bound to tell her at the earliest opportunity, though.

We don't know for sure that Rift is dead, even though it seems likely.

Reading back through the thread reminds me that Y, WolfRun and I didn't always have the same ideas on where the story was going, so that there are some occasional rather abrupt shifts of directiom. Ones that come to mind:

The character of Astra. Prior to her revelation that she was a devotee of Artemis, I don't think that there'd been any hint of it. It didn't really fit with my idea of her character, but it was so well handled and opened up such intriguing possibilities that I was happy to go along with it.

The dwarves: I had initially assumed that. though the dwarves were prejudiced against humans, Astra's great valour when fighting on their side would make them respect her, and that the majority would want to treat her honorably. Obviously that isn't how it has turned out.

Lady Alice de Vere: As mentioned above, I had originally envisaged her retaining the benign character that she had had in life. Again, that isn't how it turned out.

The political situation in Allaria: I had thought that it would give the dwarves extra leverage if Aqualaria saw itself as threatened by Allaria. However Y and WolfRun saw King Emry as being well in control of his nobles and having no need of a war with Aqualaria to encourage unity. Hence Y made the episode that I wrote of Fred's audience with the King into a dream. I see that Knight Random has now revived the possibility of a war. Of course if the Green Flame becomes a major and long term threat to Allaria, then that would make a war with Aqualaria unlikely.
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

Nice extension. I'll write something off it within the next week or so, after I finish another fairly long and complicated set of episodes. (But not TOO complicated... I'm not going to make the same mistakes I made when writing that Eternal Champion spinoff thread :roll: ) I'll also extend the Daria thread as soon as I can.

Re Rift: I have no plans for him, but I always did like that little weasel, and unscrupulous lawyers (much like the cockroaches they so resemble) are rather persistent and difficult to kill. :)

Aqualaria is not totally stable right now, with Astra missing and dishonored and Heliastra dead. If Tarin and company saw it to their advantage to ally with a faction hostile to the royal house, they might not want to keep her alive anymore.
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

Looks like I have some reading to do!

I always loved the Borderlands thread. Glad to see it revived!