Episode 103

Discussion about The Black Void.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Lots42

Episode 103

Post by Lots42 »

Episode 103 has nothing whatsoever to do with it's parents episode. It's also in quite horrible bad taste.
Ryu Hayabusa

Post by Ryu Hayabusa »

I agree. Not only does it have nothing to do with Starbase Charlie General Information, it also makes no sense whatsoever. Why did the kid with the gun attack another nerd? He should've targeted one of the jocks or cheerleaders, logically.
JH

Post by JH »

Agreed. I don't know why it didn't get zapped at the time, but I'll do so now.
JH
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

Just entered a somewhat more relevant replacement for page 103. The page that came up at the end told me it had been edited five times. I checked and found that the old page in various stages of diasassembly is still in the database.
Oh, and I don't know what Gnitchia is either, I just made it up. Feel free to go wherever you like with the options in the next chapter.
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

You know, I don't like the Black Void.

Just don't.

Talk amongst yourselves.
JH

Post by JH »

Won-Tolla wrote:Just entered a somewhat more relevant replacement for page 103. The page that came up at the end told me it had been edited five times. I checked and found that the old page in various stages of diasassembly is still in the database.
Yes, all old versions of pages are retained, but I wouldn't have expected that anyone but their creator and the moderators could look at them.
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

Re IB: yes, the Black Void did rather end up being the EAS equivalent of Marvel Comics's New Universe, didn't it? I think the problem with it in the end was that NEQ itself was alread very malleable and had a ton of starting points for new stories not related to Fred or Scott and Josh, so it seems a little bit redundant. I'm still quite fond of some threads over there, though.
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

JH wrote:I wouldn't have expected that anyone but their creator and the moderators could look at them.
Well, technically I am the new creator, and it looks like the system doesn't know what to do with episodes with more than one creator...

Databases can come up with some funny responses in unexpected situations. I remember once I was on a MUCK, one of the other players tried to create a "pet" (basically an object that follows the player character around) and was a bit too successful. He couldn't figure out how to make the pet stop following him, so when he got tired of it he just deleted it. Unfortunately the data that made the pet follow him was stored on the character rather than the object, so the deleted database record kept following him, or at least giving messages to that effect. He had accidentally created a ghost.
It got worse when another player tried creating a pet and found that it was following the first player around. This happened right after the first pet got deleted, so his pet got the same database number as the deleted one...
Last edited by Won-Tolla on Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JH

Post by JH »

It seems to me that's a bug in the story software. I'll report it, though I suspect that fixing it might be more trouble than it is worth. It does open the possibility of anyone being able to view an episode that was deleted because of something serious like paedophilia, though.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

I've emailed Sir Toby about it, and he's going to look at the possibility of a fix when he has the time, which he thinks will be next week.
JH