The spelling mistake list-

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

El' MooCow

The spelling mistake list-

Post by El' MooCow »

Now and then, I come across quite a few spelling mistakes in NEQ, especially in the early episodes.

It generally just adds to the professionalism (which I think I've spelt wrong here... :oops:) and understanding, and, in a way, enjoyment.

So, whenever you come across a spelling mistake, I suppose it would be good to compile a list so they can be edited quickly by mods.

Well, I suppose I'll start the list off with an old episode of an anonymous contributor: Episode 1009. San Francisco is spelt incorrectly.

A minor offense here, but due to my anal retentiveness, I will point out; in Episode 1022 by Lots, there should be a comma after the dark. Also, the sentence 'Fred decline on trying to pry the bars off.' doesn't make sense.

And while on the subject of 'properness' which is the accepted norm in NEQ? Past or present tense?
Please, by all means, extend any of my episodes. It's good to know someone out there is actually reading the crap I'm writing.
JH

Post by JH »

As far as the spelling mistakes are concerned, I'm afraid that if I was to attempt to correct them all it wouldn't leave me much time for anything else, there are so many. Unless the episode is so badly written as to be difficult to understand, my inclination is to let it be,

As for the tense, past tense is commoner in the NEQ but present tense is sometimes used. It's good if successive episodes can keep to the same tense. The worst thing, of course, is if an episode changes tense part way through.

Things are a bit more formalised in the Black Void, where in each of the main threads the tense and the POV (first, second or third person) was established at the start, and authors should try to remain consistent with that.
JH
Lots42

Post by Lots42 »

Dude, a lot of the fun of NEQ is capitalizing on spelling and or typo mistakes.

Search for 'dargon' for an example.

Also, the funny can arise. I once wrote an option having Josh Burbank pray to a diety for escape. But because of inattentiveness, I wrote it as Josh praying to Josh for escape. That was much more funny and it would be a shame if that was somehow 'fixed'.