El' MooCow's current goal for NEQ

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Lots42 (in another topic) wrote:I say, KEEP the Add An Option option. If that makes sense. The positives outweigh the negatives. It allows one to go around author abuse, it allows one to extend a story that some authors have not, it allows someone like me to go back to an old, old episode I wrote and extend it if I have an additional plot bunny.
I don't know if I'd consider the ability to work around author abuse as a factor in keeping the 'add new option' feature enabled for old episodes. In general, the episodes we are talking about have been around long enough that plenty of time has elapsed to allow people to work around any author abuse that is present. If there is author abuse that is present that hasn't been worked around by now, I'd argue that perhaps it isn't bad enough to warrant working around.

As for the ability to go back to an old, old episode and extend it with an additional "plot bunny" as you call it, I would ask the following: Where do we draw the line? I agree with both you and JH. The ability to make use of the 'add new option' feature is an important option that authors need to have available to them. I have no desire to remove it completely. However, I'm slowly coming to realize that allowing its use indefinately is not an ideal situation.

I agree with WolfRun, in that I don't like episodes with tons and tons of options. When I initially wrote Extend-A-Story, I intentionally limited the number of options an author can use to ten, in response to a deficiency I saw in Addventure where there was no apparent limit to the number of options allowed, leading to episodes like Endless Perspectives, episode 103 where 16 options were used. I remember that there are episodes on Addventure that go way beyond this, but this was the best example I could find with a quick search.

I tend to feel that anywhere from two to four options is ideal for most scenarios. I picked ten as the limit for Extend-A-Story, as that seemed a good compromise between what I felt the ideal should be, and allowing authors flexibility to use additional options if a situation warranted it, without allowing a complete option explosion by those who would try to abuse the allowed number of options.

And now we have the case of 'add new option' which can allow someone to add any number of options to an episode where it is enabled. There currently is no limit to the number of additional options. I have sometimes considered adding a limit to prevent vast numbers of options being added, but have never felt a need to do so in the past.

This brings us back to my original question. Where do we draw the line? I personally don't feel comfortable with saying options can be added with no limit whatsoever. A numerical limit feels like it would be ripe for abuse, as I imagine some people would be tempted to create options soley for the purpose of hitting the limit.

I keep thinking about a time limit, similiar to how we handle allowing episodes to be edited. There is a period of time where the original author is allowed to freely edit the episode. There is an additional period of time where myself or (more typically) JH can be asked to edit an episode. However, there seems to be a certain unwritten limit beyond which we don't go back and edit episodes. This seems to happen because after a period of time, the content of the episode (even if it contains grievous errors regarding point of view, spelling, or whatever) is used in child episodes, and editing the episode would cause problems with the child episodes. See episode 3508 for an example of this.

The option we are considering at the moment is similiar to a time limit, although it is based on how many levels deep an episode is in the story tree, as opposed to stricly time based. While being a low-level episode typically means that an episode is older, this isn't strictly true as new episodes can be created at all levels in the story from level 5 onwards.

So... Perhaps using levels deep in the story tree as a basis for disabling the 'add new option' feature is not such a good idea, since this can lead to recently created episodes having the 'add new option' disabled without giving sufficient time for authors to add options as needed.

Perhaps going with a time limit would be a workable option? Would allowing the 'add new option' feature to work for a year or two after the creation of the initial episode be sufficient for allowing authors to add options as needed? I feel that it certainly allows sufficient time for working around author sabotage. As for adding new story ideas, one could always argue that they have a perfect idea for extending some specific episode. I feel that given the nature of a branching story, as supported by Extend-A-Story, allow limitless points where any sort of idea can be applied. Again I'll agree with WolfRun on this point, and quote his statement, as he states is clearer than I can:
WolfRun wrote:I don’t buy this argument. Of course it's possible, but if a person has a really good idea for a new direction in a storyline, they should be able to work it in at almost any point of the story and not just that one episode that Sir Toby just happened to delete “Add New Option” from. It might be more convenient if they could just add it in as a new option, but it most certainly isn't world-shattering if they can't (especially since, in so many cases, if they can't add their idea later in the story they can usually go back to a previous episode in the thread to add it in with little or no difficulty.)
And again, this is still just my personal opinion. I am not dictating policy, but instead am merely exploring the various options to see if there is some common ground we can reach.
JH

Post by JH »

I quite like the idea of a time limit. Another possibility, if it wouldn't be too hard to implement, might be to limit the number of times that Add New Option could be used on a particular episode to, say, twice.
JH
WolfRun

Post by WolfRun »

This topic is getting really interesting and I have a few comments I want to add. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that right now.

I did want to say one thing though, as a clarification.

One, I don't hate Lots42 or want him to feel unwelcome. Two, I have nothing against silly episodes. Just take a look at the episode I just added, "Fear the Chickens". And three, yes I'm fully aware that I've just given three clarifications instead of one. I'm silly like that.
Lots42

Post by Lots42 »

I GOT it.

Make a time limit for 'Add New Option'.

But also make it so each episode has to have, at minimum, TWO options as one writes the fershlugginer thing.

I would be happy with this but of course I accept anything Toby and JH decide.
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

See, this is what I was talking about when I ranted about that "Add new option" tab for episode 30. I admit, I am one of the offenders, but just now seems like the new options are getting nowhere.

I like the idea of a time limit.
Execute Order 66
El' MooCow

Post by El' MooCow »

Time limit? I dunno. It can be a bit too restrictive.

How about just limiting the amount of 'Add New Options' to one or two?
Please, by all means, extend any of my episodes. It's good to know someone out there is actually reading the crap I'm writing.
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

El' MooCow wrote:Time limit? I dunno. It can be a bit too restrictive.

Actually, I'm more in favor of this. I was exploring obtions to the right today, and I found a lot of episodes that had potential, but were ruined, and I thought something along the lines of "Dang it. Why couldn't there a be an "Add new option" tab? Sometimes, episodes in need of this tab need will be found in 3 years after it's created.
Execute Order 66
El' MooCow

Post by El' MooCow »

Noise Tank wrote:

Actually, I'm more in favor of this. I was exploring obtions to the right today, and I found a lot of episodes that had potential, but were ruined, and I thought something along the lines of "Dang it. Why couldn't there a be an "Add new option" tab? Sometimes, episodes in need of this tab need will be found in 3 years after it's created.
Yup. :D
That's why a time limit is flawed.
So how about it, Toby? Would implementing a feature so only two (or one) 'Add New Options' are allowed be very difficult?
Please, by all means, extend any of my episodes. It's good to know someone out there is actually reading the crap I'm writing.
JH

Post by JH »

Noise Tank wrote:

If there's a particular episode that you'd like Add New Option to be enabled for, when it isn't currently, let me know and I'll enable it for you.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

El' MooCow wrote:So how about it, Toby? Would implementing a feature so only two (or one) 'Add New Options' are allowed be very difficult?
While there wouldn't be a huge amount of effort involved in automating this restriction, there would be some changes required to the Extend-A-Story software, including some changes to the database to track how often an episode has been extended. I don't see myself having enough free time to work on this any time soon.

If there is consensus that this is the path we want to take, I'll probably elect to manually disable the 'add new option' feature on specific episodes that clearly have been extended more than twice (or whatever number we decide), until I find time to update Extend-A-Story to automate the process.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

JH wrote:If there's a particular episode that you'd like Add New Option to be enabled for, when it isn't currently, let me know and I'll enable it for you.
While I didn't want to say anything earlier, JH brings up an important point here. If there is ever a need to add a new option to an episode, for whatever reason (really brilliant idea, sabotage, whatever) and the 'add new option' feature is disabled for the episode, it is always possible for JH or myself to add the new option manually, or update the episode to enable the 'add new option' feature. You just have to convince JH or myself to do it.
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Sir Toby wrote:
JH wrote:If there's a particular episode that you'd like Add New Option to be enabled for, when it isn't currently, let me know and I'll enable it for you.
While I didn't want to say anything earlier, JH brings up an important point here. If there is ever a need to add a new option to an episode, for whatever reason (really brilliant idea, sabotage, whatever) and the 'add new option' feature is disabled for the episode, it is always possible for JH or myself to add the new option manually, or update the episode to enable the 'add new option' feature. You just have to convince JH or myself to do it.
Yet the main problem is I fear too many episodes...although that's highly unlikely. I currently can only think of one episode which I would like an add new option to hit.

We'll just have to see how the future goes.
Execute Order 66
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

JH wrote:
Noise Tank wrote:

If there's a particular episode that you'd like Add New Option to be enabled for, when it isn't currently, let me know and I'll enable it for you.
In that case, I have two request. First, my cousin would like an add new option in episdoe 19636, and I myself would like an add new option in episode 1666.
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

Done.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Thank you.
Execute Order 66