Is the Stair Case room based on anything? (18795)

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Noise Tank

Is the Stair Case room based on anything? (18795)

Post by Noise Tank »

Is that episode based on any show or book of any type, or is it just something that lots made up?

And can you give me details about it. What exactly are they in? A cabin? A room? Or is it just one of those episodes where you don't ask questions?
Execute Order 66
TCO

Post by TCO »

I think the Staircase Room first appeared in one of the now defunct Addventure games. Check here.

There was another site called Horsehockey.net, I think, which is also defunct. AFAIK, it introduced some extra elements that have now been transferred to the NEQ by Lots and others. The Staircase Room as it originally started only had Scott.
...the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. - Dr. Who
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

...But do I really need to know the history that bad for a future thread?
Execute Order 66
TCO

Post by TCO »

No, but you did seem to suggest you wanted some background to it.
...the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. - Dr. Who
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

But is there background? It never describes what they are in, how they got there, where they are, or anything like that.
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

I think that it's a mystery is part of the point. But you may get some useful information here:

http://www.addventure.com/cgi-bin/read. ... age/2.html

Games 1 and 2 on that site also began in a Staircase Room (it became a tradition), but those games did not feature Scott.
JH
TCO

Post by TCO »

Ah yes, so it did. I think the link I provided is the same as yours, JH. :)
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Thanks for clearing that up.

Does Josh have a personallity of any sort? He seems to be a smart kid in some of his threads. Unlike Scott, who sits down watches cartoons, he attempts to find his way out of the horror around him.
Execute Order 66
TCO

Post by TCO »

He's rather like Lord Fred, it depends on whoever's writing about him at the time.
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

TCO wrote:He's rather like Lord Fred, it depends on whoever's writing about him at the time.
I thought so.
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

I think that Lots, who knows more about him than anyone else, has said that he's very annoying and irresponsible, so not at all like Lord Fred. Don't confuse Josh Burbank of the Scott 'n' Josh threads with Sir Josh of some other threads; they are very different. As TCO has said, Josh Burbank began in the now defunct Horsehockey addventure, which liftedc the idea of the Staircase Room and Scott from the original Addventure but added Josh.
JH
Lots42

Post by Lots42 »

Oh yeah, it tends to be that the Staircase Room is in a tower. Because when Josh inevitably falls out of the one lone window in the place, he falls for a LONG time.
Lots42

Post by Lots42 »

Scott used to be the more responsible one. I don't know what turned him into a lazy gadabout. Maybe Josh's insanity has finally broken his spirit.
TCO

Post by TCO »

JH wrote:I think that Lots, who knows more about him than anyone else, has said that he's very annoying and irresponsible, so not at all like Lord Fred. Don't confuse Josh Burbank of the Scott 'n' Josh threads with Sir Josh of some other threads; they are very different. As TCO has said, Josh Burbank began in the now defunct Horsehockey addventure, which liftedc the idea of the Staircase Room and Scott from the original Addventure but added Josh.
I think you misread what I meant. John :). When I said he was like Lord Fred, I meant his personality depended on whoever was writing about him at the time.
Last edited by TCO on Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JH

Post by JH »

Yes, I read your post too quickly. Sorry.
JH