Here Be Dragons

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Won-Tolla

Here Be Dragons

Post by Won-Tolla »

Mapmakers of old would often cover up those embarassing white spots with some fancy artwork, or simply by penning in some unsubstantiated claim such as "Here Be Monsters". Or, more specifically, "Here Be Dragons".
One of the options in chapter 40866 is supposed to be a reference to this. The stilted grammar and upper case initials were meant as a clue that Alma was just reading something on the map she had visualized. If she had meant to point out the actual presence of dragons (or just The Dragon (tm)) I would have let her say "here are dragons" or even "This is where the dragons are".
Oh well. As Krazy Kat said, language is so we may misunderstand each other. :roll:
JH

Post by JH »

I've heard of that map-makers' convention, but I hadn't realised that Alma was employing it there. But Fred wouldn't necessarily understand that Alma wasn't intending herself to be taken literally, especially as in this particular thread he doesn't seem to be too bright. So I think that my episode still works (at any rate if you choose the best-fitting option), but I could change it if you'd like me too.
JH