Episode 7777

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

JH

Episode 7777

Post by JH »

I like Eric Kantona's episodes, but I'm wondering whether he's gone too far with episode 7777 as far as continuity is concerned. Unfortunately he doesn't provide any means of contacting him, so I can't discuss it with him. I'd be interested in hearing what other people think.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Maybe by your user name, tell him you want to try to contact him or something like that. I've seen people comment each other like that in the past.
Execute Order 66
eric kantona

Post by eric kantona »

Hi there - the guilty man himself replies!

Sorry if the episode in question has upset anyone - I was in one of my more "whimsical" moods on Friday. On reflection maybe it is a bit pointless (as well as not being very good). I'll see if I'm still allowed to edit it.

However on a more general point, while it can be upsetting if one has nicely set up a narrative only to see someone add a completely inappropriate follow-up response, I would hope that there is some place on NEQ for the incongruous - frequently I find the episodes that make me laugh are the ones that follow on less literally from the preceding episode. This is especially true if the preceding ep is itself of poor quality or doesn't follow on from its predecessor. On the other hand I would never intentionally ruin a strong narrative thread and I'm sorry if I've done so on this occasion.

I guess I'm coming at these things from a different angle from some of you - my interest tends to lie less in the "adventure narrative" and more in exploring what can be done with writing and hypertext. As a result my eps are frequently "experimental" (for want of a better word) and occasionally misjudged (as per 7777) .

So in summary - point taken JH, but hopefully there's room for us all in NEQ!
eric kantona

Post by eric kantona »

Success - managed to fix the ep into something respectable (if brief). Apologies to all once again - please remind me to take my tablets in future!
JH

Post by JH »

Yes, there's certainly room for the incongruous - you only have to look at some of Lots stuff. :) But if you add something very "silly" to what has been a "serious" thread up to that point, then it may be best to do it via Add New Option to avoid disrupting the storyline.

Added later: Thanks for the edit to 7777. One snag, though: Fred isn't amongst those present.

(BTW: Demon is my own ISP. But apart from them all being ISPs, I couldn't work out the connection.)
JH
eric kantona

Post by eric kantona »

One snag, though: Fred isn't amongst those present.
Yikes! where did I get Fred from? Have replaced him with the Doctor (which is what I meant to do in the first place).

I will write out 100 times:

Continuity
Continuity
Continuity . . .
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

You could put that on the "Yo!" chain in the beta story. :D :twisted:
Lots42Guest

Continuity Flubs

Post by Lots42Guest »

Yikes! where did I get Fred from? Have replaced him with the Doctor (which is what I meant to do in the first place).

I will write out 100 times:

Continuity
Continuity
Continuity . . .
----

While I'm all for continuity and stuff[1], I've found that some of the more enjoyable aspects of NEQ come from accidnets. Such as when I accidentally had Josh praying to himself in order to resolve a sticky situation.

[1] I try and respect the tone of the thread. If I feel really silly, I find some Josh Burbank and Scott Chen episodes.
Won-Tolla

Re: Continuity Flubs

Post by Won-Tolla »

Lots42Guest wrote:Such as when I accidentally had Josh praying to himself in order to resolve a sticky situation.
Well, they say the best way to get something done is to do it yourself! As for praying, there are also those who say that "God helps those who help themselves"...

Strange things lead to more strange things. On another site I frequent now and then, someone with pretty bad spelling listed a couple of rather strangely named characters in an episode, and one of them became popular and appeared in several other episodes including a subplot about trying to change her name...
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Won-Tolla wrote:You could put that on the "Yo!" chain in the beta story. :D :twisted:
I love that thread. :D
Execute Order 66