Can no longer automatically log in.

Forum for discussing any additional forums you'd like to see here, or features of the bulletin board you'd like to see enabled or disabled.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

JH

Post by JH »

I've noticed the last couple of days that I seem to keep getting logged out between visits, which is a minor annoyance.
JH
Keegan

Post by Keegan »

Whew, so it's not just me. It's been happening to me too.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

JH wrote:I've noticed the last couple of days that I seem to keep getting logged out between visits, which is a minor annoyance.
Let me know if upgrading to 2.0.13 has solved this problem.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Sir Toby wrote:Let me know if upgrading to 2.0.13 has solved this problem.
I just got an email from JH saying that this problem is still occuring to him. So apparantly the upgrade to 2.0.13 has not solved the problem. Off to troubleshooting...

Is there anyone here that this is *not* happening to? For those that this is happening to, does it happen 100% of the time, or are you still able to automatically log in occasionally? What steps do you take to reproduce the problem?
JH

Post by JH »

Sir Toby wrote: I just got an email from JH saying that this problem is still occuring to him. So apparantly the upgrade to 2.0.13 has not solved the problem. Off to troubleshooting...

Is there anyone here that this is *not* happening to? For those that this is happening to, does it happen 100% of the time, or are you still able to automatically log in occasionally? What steps do you take to reproduce the problem?
To confirm that I get this 100% of the time between browser sessions. I think it may not happen - or at least not always - if I return within the same browser session. I'm using IE6 with all updates addressing security issues installed.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

JH wrote:To confirm that I get this 100% of the time between browser sessions. I think it may not happen - or at least not always - if I return within the same browser session. I'm using IE6 with all updates addressing security issues installed.
Strange... I just tried the following on IE and Firefox: I log in, clicking the 'Log me on automatically each visit' checkbox. Then I close the browser. Then I re-open the browser and navigate back to the forum. I find myself logged in.

Have you tried with different browsers/computers?
JH

Post by JH »

Sir Toby wrote:Have you tried with different browsers/computers?
No. The odd thing is that this problem didn't happen prior to 2.0.11.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

JH wrote:No. The odd thing is that this problem didn't happen prior to 2.0.11.
All right. I'll start poking around on the phpBB support forum this weekend. If I remember correctly, I think I also upgraded my version of PHP around the same time I upgraded phpBB. That may be a complicating factor that I'll also need to sift through as well.
JH

Post by JH »

A couple of points:

1. I don't think that it's a cookie issue. I don't see the little warning sign that IE usually shows when it disallows a cookie.
2. In the IE security settings, I tried changing the User Authentication setting from "allow automatic logon only for intranet sites" to "automatic logon with username and password", but it seems to have made no difference.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

I've recently had to reinstall everything following a crash, and guess what, I now remained logged in on the bulletin board. So I assume the cause of being logged out between visits must have been something that I'd set within IE6, though I've no idea what.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

So, is their no hope of being logging in automaticly? :(
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

Well, my own experience suggests that there's hope, but I still don't know just what it was in my IE settings that was causing me to get logged out between visits.
JH
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

No problem here; I've been away fora couple of weeks and when I came back I was still logged in. (I'm using IBrowse on an Amiga.) I've had occasional trouble on various other boards and such though, usually after the browser crashed without saving the cookies.