Wisdom of Ryu

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Ryu

Wisdom of Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Hello everyone, I'm back! When I vanish for long periods of time like that, it doesn't mean I've lost interest in Extend-a-Story, or that I'm lying in a ditch somewhere, in a pool of drunken vomit and blood from numerous stab wounds. No, instead it usually means I've gotten involved in a really good videogame, and can't concentrate on writing for the time being. But while even the best videogame comes to an end, Extend-a-Story never does, at least in theory.

Which brings me to an interesting point. Have you ever wondered what happens to "dead" threads? One second a thread is "alive", the characters living, breathing, deciding on their next move. Then, suddenly, everything is in stasis. Time freezes in mid-sentence, mid-thought, mid-action. Is it really, mercifully frozen, the characters unaware that the thread has died, ready to spring into action as soon as someone gets an idea for a continuation?

Or maybe... maybe the characters remain partially conscious, like sci-fi astronauts in cryogenic sleep? Remaining in suspended animation for years, they are aware that nothing is going on. Perhaps they yearn for someone to bring them back to life.

Perhaps they hate us for leaving thm like that! Perhaps they pray for that day when it will be they who sit in front of a keyboard, and decide our fate.

Just something to think about.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Nuclear Weapons: Blessing or Curse?

It's hard to bring up the subject of nuclear weapons without evoking strong feelings in people. With the exception of Russians, who dislike nukes and can't keep track of them, almost every person on the planet has a strong opinion on the matter. Usually it is negative. The accepted belief is that nuclear weapons are evil - a tool for global annihilation and nothing else. One person I spoke to even said that if he could travel back in time, he would kill Einstein when he was a baby, thus preventing nukes from ever being invented.

I think that's ludicrous. Since the start of the nuclear age, we haven't had a single major war between the nuclear armed nations. People are afraid of the aforementioned annihilation, radiation and nuclear winter, and so they curb their violent primitive instincts and crawl reluctantly toward the negotiating table. Can you imagine what would have happened in the last fifty years if the bloody ape known as Man didn't have a nuke pointed down his throat to keep him from war's shrill alarms?

Let's face it - conventional weapons technology is advancing in leaps and bounds, a hundred times faster than science, medicine and art. After World War 2, Europe and Russia were a massive graveyard, and today we have weapons technology, even apart from nukes, that could make the devastation of World War 2 look like a schoolyard snowball fight. If another world war broke out, fought entirely with conventional weapons, there would be nothing left standing. All of our beautiful cities would be reduced to heaps of rubble, filled with the wails of the dead and dying, as grossly disfigured survivors crawl through the wreckage, consuming the rotting carcasses of the dead. For stretches of thousands of miles the earth would be a blackened wasteland, littered with the scrap metal of tanks and missile batteries, and writhing mountains of corpses, the wounded desperately trying to eat their way out from underneath before they suffocate. All animal life would be dead, aside from carrion crows and maggots. The only lands that could possibly escape total destruction would be Africa and South America, and these two continents would henceforth be the major powers of their respective hemispheres. All Western "Culture" had worked so hard for would be gone, blown away in the napalm breeze.

And nuclear weapons are all that's preventing this. So I say Hell Yeah! to nuclear technology! Hug a nuke today!
Lost Soldier (Ib)

Post by Lost Soldier (Ib) »

I agree with you, Ryu. I think nukes are the least of mankinds' worries. The internal combustion engine is a greater threat, in my opinion.
All I know is that I don't know anything.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

I agree - it makes people lazy.

What I'm wondering about, is how can this thread have over 100 views? While its somewhat flattering to have espoused my wisdom to so many, I don't think we have a hundred writers here on Extend-a-Story. Is it just the regular gang, going over the message board over and over again out of boredom?
JH

Post by JH »

Probably. I expect I've viewed the thread 4 times, once for each time a new post was added to it. But don't forget that visitors can read posts, not just those who have registered.
JH
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Lost Soldier (Ib)

Post by Lost Soldier (Ib) »

It wasn't half bad, if you're into pussy. I'm more of a dog person, myself.
All I know is that I don't know anything.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

You know, a thought has been bothering me recently. What if all the characters from American pop culture went to war against all the characters of Japanese culture?

My money is on America, and not just because of blind patriotism. True enough, the American characters would soon find themselves outnumbered. We would suddenly find ourselves facing our old friends Luigi and Mario across the field of battle. Rambo and the Teen Titans would be surrounded by teeming hordes of martial arts masters from the chop-socky flicks produced in Japan by the millions. Conan the Barbarian's armies would face Cloud Strife and all the sword-wielding heroes of Japan's RPGs. And King Kong, though fierce, cannot stand against the fury of Godzilla. It would be a tough and grueling fight, and no one could be sure of the outcome.

But the ground war would matter little here. You see... the Japanese have no access to Kryptonite. Thus, even if Starfleet and its allies fell to the onslaught of the Robotech Masters, Superman would save the day. He would tear the enemy pilots from their giant robots one by one, then pull a giant asteroid from orbit and hurl it down upon Tokyo. Hurrah!!
Lots42guest

Post by Lots42guest »

King Kong would choke Godzilla with monkey poo
ODS

Post by ODS »

Welcome back ^^, i have returned as well :-D
Ryu

RYU IS IN LOVE!!!

Post by Ryu »

Guess what!! I was just playing Ragnarok Online, when I decided "what the hell" and started hitting on a female Dancer who was running around. We talked for a while, I met her guild friends, who sort of made fun of me but are cool, and, and...

And I think she likes me!! She bought me a chain mace and a scapulary, and took me "levelling"!! Wow. She's my sugar mommy.

Umm... why am I telling this here? Well.. I guess I had to tell someone. :D
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

And oh yeah, she says she wants to marry me!!

Should I do it? In that game, you have to get to level 45 before you can get married. It would be a major investment of time and energy. Still, for Bunny's sake... I think I probably would.
ODS

Post by ODS »

<reads Ryus messages>
......WTF!
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

ODS wrote:<reads Ryus messages>
......WTF!
Yes, that's what I said last night. I will spare you the sordid details, but suffice it to say things did not work out with Bunny.

But "suffering" leads to "wisdom", and here is what I have learned: AVOID ONLINE ROMANCES AT ANY COST.