Misc episodes

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

JH

Post by JH »

Re 110688.

"She looked into Jarlath's eyes..."

A pedant writes: Shouldn't that be "She looked into Jarlath's eye..."?
Last edited by JH on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

Well spotted.

I hope this thread is at least vaguely comprehensible. I have been working on a character guide for it, for both my and others' reference. It'll take a while to finish though, since I want to cover everyone from this period of Terra Prime which I might want to use at some point.
"All spelling errors are to be ingored."--Stephen Ratliff
JH

Post by JH »

KnightRandom wrote:Well spotted.

I hope this thread is at least vaguely comprehensible. I have been working on a character guide for it, for both my and others' reference. It'll take a while to finish though, since I want to cover everyone from this period of Terra Prime which I might want to use at some point.
It's been so long since I've looked at the thread, that I think I shall have to reread it before I can add to it. A character guide would be very welcome, though. Meanwhile I intend to write from your 41680, which has the great advantage of effectively being a fresh start with no back-story to it.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

In the hopes of adding to 17628, I've been trying to read and make sense of the back story. But there's so much of it, and with so many cross-links, that it's all but impossible unless one is prepared to spend many hours on it. Remarkably, I can recall that it all seemed to make sense as we were writing it. :)

So I think I shall have to make do with identifying our dramatis personae from the TARDIS. It seems that we have the 3rd Doctor, a female android called Inquirer (about whom I can remember almost nothing), Betty, and another Betty from an alternate Earth who is known as Ragan to avoid confusion with her "sister" and who was transformed into the exact physical duplicate of a red-headed actress called Melissa Brown.

You seem to be right that Melissa herself was left behind in episode 8672, which means that L.E. committed a rare continuity error in his 16500. It's a pity, as I liked the Twins of Doom. :) Stacy also seems to have been left behind at the same time, so hopefully the four I've identified are all we have. (I suppose it's possible that there's another branch where, if it's followed here, Melissa and Stacy weren't left behind; such are the dangers of cross-linking.)

We're on Earth in 1985, where the 6th Doctor story "Revelation of the Daleks" is being filmed. It can't quite be "our" Earth, as it seems that UNIT really exists. And now I must go and refresh my memory on "The Shakespeare Code". :)
JH
JH

Post by JH »

Now that Reaibn's OnTheLine forum is up again, the thread guides that he and I posted there are once again accessible:

http://ontheline.lastrevelation.org/viewforum.php?f=35
JH
JH

Post by JH »

Re 110797:

This is so complex that I'm reminded of the Schleswig-Holstein Question in 19th century Europe, of which Lord Palmerston is famously supposed to have said: "Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business—the Prince Consort, who is dead—a German professor, who has gone mad—and I, who have forgotten all about it."

I find that I have forgotten all about it, so must take the part of Lord Palmerston, but hopefully neither you (KR) nor MSG is yet dead or insane!
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

I'm still waiting to be approved as part of the HH forum.

As for Terra, I'll be posting the character guide I wrote up for (my version of) that over the course of this week.

That episode's purpose was to set up plot/character seeds I'll use later. Right now, instead of trying to tackle everything at once as I have in past threads in this milieu, I'm going with a structure similar to the one Paul Levitz used on Legion of Super-Heroes, another series with an enormous cast. You have interlocking nested plots, with an A-plot, B-plot, and C-plot. Once the A-plot is done, the B-plot moves up and becomes the A-plot, etc. Right now, the Borderlands stuff is the A-plot, the Naebolg stuff from 94075 et al is the B-plot, and the vampire stuff (which also relates to an old thread of mine MSG had linked in) is the C-plot. I have a bunch of possible plots laid out which would probably take years if I explored them all. So far, I've been posting on a fixed schedule of one episode in this thread per week every Monday.
JH

Post by JH »

Regarding the Naebolg thread, I had a lot of fun writing that with Reaibn, and it would be good to have it start up again.

I fear that getting yourself enrolled as a HH member might take some time, judging by how things have been there recently. :( Does not being a member mean that, not only can't you post there, but you can't read posts either?
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

Apparently so! You might want to repost those things over here.

I wound up going in that direction because the whole thing seemed like a Hades/Persephone sort of set up, so bringing in a counterpart of Demeter would be the logical next step. That wasn't a very subtle reference, no. I threw it in with Terra because Rowena 2 needed a quest, and one of my old epiosdes that thread built on established a Rowena was Andrea's best friend.

Naebolg seems to me like a Lovecraftian version of Narnia.
JH

Post by JH »

KnightRandom wrote:Apparently so! You might want to repost those things over here.
I'll repost the things that I wrote. I don't think I should repost stuff that Reaibn wrote without his consent, and getting that would probably take as long as your getting access to the HH forum, so there wouldn't be much point. His thread guides were for the various branches that flowed out of his namesake taking power in Allaria.
KnightRandom wrote:I wound up going in that direction because the whole thing seemed like a Hades/Persephone sort of set up, so bringing in a counterpart of Demeter would be the logical next step. That wasn't a very subtle reference, no. I threw it in with Terra because Rowena 2 needed a quest, and one of my old epiosdes that thread built on established a Rowena was Andrea's best friend.

Naebolg seems to me like a Lovecraftian version of Narnia.
That sounds about right to me, though as the concept was Reaibn's I can't be sure.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

KnightRandom wrote:I'm still waiting to be approved as part of the HH forum.
Hopefully you've noticed that you now have been, after I alerted Reaibn. He says "Please let him know he is welcome here and on HH anytime."

I originally sent you a PM to let you know, but unfortunately I looked at the members list here and sent it to "Knight Random" rather than to "KnightRandom", as that was the first version that I came to and I didn't realise that there were two! I guess it would need Sir Toby to delete the older one, assuming that was what you wanted.
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

I lost access to that account because of changing email addresses. I figure you should, although I don't want to lose the old messages.
JH

Post by JH »

KnightRandom wrote:I lost access to that account because of changing email addresses. I figure you should, although I don't want to lose the old messages.
I assume that deleting the account wouldn't delete the messages. It would probably be best if you emailed Sir Toby to ask him to delete it. You could do that via the Site Administrator link on the site's home page.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

KnightRandom wrote:As for Terra, I'll be posting the character guide I wrote up for (my version of) that over the course of this week.
Or not, as the case may be. :) Meanwhile, having done some rereading, 110797 and its recently-written predecessors are starting to make some kind of sense. Hopefully, if you keep to your Monday schedule a new episode will be appearing shortly.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

Regarding 110422, I'd been waiting in case Anableps wanted to go next, but enough time has elapsed that I'm now looking at it again with a view to continuing it. It looks as if there must be a typo in the cross-reference here: "...And... I remember something about a ship that was lost far away from home. [328]"
JH