The Never Ending Quest may have some great stories, but...

General discussion about anything on Sir-Toby.Com that isn't covered by another forum.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Ben McClellan II

Post by Ben McClellan II »

Please do write some. I always enjoyed your episodes.
Twitter: @benmcclellan

Horsehockey v5.0: Ongoing! horsehockey dot ORG
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

It's good to have you writing again.
"All spelling errors are to be ingored."--Stephen Ratliff
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

KnightRandom wrote:I do mean to go back to some old threads of mine. I've changed a lot as a person in 6 years, though, so my areas of focus will be different. I do mean to be more consistent about sticking with threads than in the old days.
You're telling me. I went back to look at the date of my first episode (Which I still remember. Episode 21044) and found that I was 12 when I first wrote that. I didn't know about Microsoft Word, spellcheck, continuity, or even the concept of quotation marks for dialog. It is sort of painful to go back to my old episodes because I am noticing a ton of spelling errors and terrible dialog that I missed.

Obviously, my episodes got better: I noticed JK Rowling was using quotation marks for dialog and started doing it as well. I started reading better books, both classics in my English class and for leisure (Gaiman, Pratchett, King, George RR Martin especially inspired me). My episodes finally became acceptable. Even so, I feel like I was trying too hard and trying to do what I thought was what authors I liked did and trying to mimic them instead of doing what would fit extend-a-story best or what would be the most enjoyable. I would get in the habit of trying to make my episodes fairly long, even if the episode didn't require that.

I'm 25 now and a lot has happened since then. I've graduated from High School, studied abroad, graduated from College, lived in and taught English in a foreign Country for a year and a half, became extremely proficient in a foreign language, and am now working to become an interpreter. I feel the writing process is a lot easier and more fun than it was in the past.

I'm really glad to be back.
Last edited by Noise Tank on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

Wow, so you've been posting here for over half your life!

And to Ib, it's good to know you're still around.

I've been away on vacation for the last couple of weeks, but I'm back now. Once I've caught up on real life, I intend to write some more episodes.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

JH wrote:Wow, so you've been posting here for over half your life!

Well, on and off. In my years of college, I think I only wrote 2 episodes.
Execute Order 66
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

I started at 15, so I've been writing here on and off for about half my life too.

And welcome back JH!
JH

Post by JH »

Thank you! I started at 50, which makes me feel very old.

I don't think there's much hope that I can manage to get my head around the thread leading to 110717!
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

Yes, that one's quite complicated. I was able to write it because I'd spent the last couple weeks binge-reading As the Fur Flies, which does interesting things to your brain. I did try to clarify things by cross-referencing all the important plot points--the conversation is from the most recent recap episode before this divergence.
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

And it's really amazing that NEQ is still around. Things vanish so quickly on the internet. I have been on sites that didn't even last half as long as NEQ has.
Ben McClellan II

Post by Ben McClellan II »

I began writing at age 22, probably at the tail end of 1998 on Addventure Game 3.

Hard to believe I turn 40 this fall, and I never lost my interest in extendable fiction. It hasn't been for half my life yet, but soon!
Twitter: @benmcclellan

Horsehockey v5.0: Ongoing! horsehockey dot ORG
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

KnightRandom wrote:And it's really amazing that NEQ is still around. Things vanish so quickly on the internet. I have been on sites that didn't even last half as long as NEQ has.
As I said when I made this topic, I was worried that I'd search for this website only to discover that it is gone. I'm so happy that it not only is still alive, but also relatively active. Hopefully, more of the previous writers do return.
Execute Order 66