The demise of Geocities

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

JH

The demise of Geocities

Post by JH »

As you may have heard, the Geocities website hosting service is defunct. That means that three of the five guides to the NEQ can no longer be accessed via the links provided on this site. I believe that finding a new home for MSG's "As the Fur Flies" site is in hand. Regarding the sites of WolfRun and the Traveler, I have emailed the people concerned (though it's many years since I last emailed the latter, so the address might no longer work), as well as Sir Toby himself, in the hope that something can be arranged.

It would be a great pity if the excellent material on the defunct sites was lost. A search on Google did turn up an alternative site for WolfRun, but it seems to have been last updated in 2000.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

Update: MSG's pages now have a home on the Sir Toby site itself, and the link has been updated to reflect that. Other sites that were on Geocities now have links to the archived copies at web.archive.org. Many of the internal links on those pages no longer work, however, so hopefully this will be only a stop-gap.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

I never received a response to my emails to WolfRun and The Traveler. Nor did I get a "bounce" message in either case. I imagine that sooner or later WolfRun will reappear here, and I may be able to re-establish contact, but that seems unlikely in the case of The Traveler. Pity.
JH
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

The Traveler.

*sigh*

I wonder... what became of him? It is a shame. A real shame. At one point I had his maps, ect. on my hard drive. But no more. They are quite in my head though.

I never had the privilege of collaborating with him, but I always held his work in high regard. In fact, as JH probably knows, I paid tribute to his work in countless episodes (as I have with many an author at this site).

It's not so much that I ever held him in higher esteem than anyone else. It's the fact that he seems to have disappeared about ten years ago (wow...ten years...) without a trace. Sort of adds an allure, ya know?

He brought so much to the table. And I hope he knows there's always a chair here that we've kept warm for him.

And once again, thanks, JH.

You are such an asset to NEQ. Cheers, old chap!

And to all the rest as well. So many of you. It's been fun. Such an obscure website, but so much fun. I remember reading about it in like 1999 on the addventure.com mailing list.

Okay, I'll quit being all sappy now.
Anableps

Lost websites

Post by Anableps »

I cannot get any of the archived links to work on the WolfRun web site beyond that of the front page. That is too bad. I used his map a lot. Perhaps someone stored it on a hard drive or has it in their browser cache somewhere. He did contribute a series of episodes in August, so he might come back.

Much of MSG's site is intact. Some of the artwork is not loading. Is that just my browser's security settings, or did some of that get lost in the move?
JH

Post by JH »

I have that map, as well as a couple that I think The Traveler did (one of Allaria and one covering a similar area to WolfRun's). I'll email them to you. If anyone else would like them, then just ask.

An old version of WofRun's pages (as at the year 2000) is still available here:

http://home.att.net/~joewhy/index.html

It includes his map, though I think before it acquired a few extra annotations.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

Good news. By accident I discovered that a site called Reocities is attempting to recover as many Geocities sites as possible. Where they have done so, one simply puts "reocities" instead of "geocities" in the link. They seem to have WolfRun's pages pretty much complete, at:

http://www.reocities.com/toh1999/wolfrun.html

The Traveler's site seems to be missing its top page, but the other pages can be found at:

http://www.reocities.com/kreblok/betrayal/

However Y's site is not available - at least not yet.
JH
Inherited Tiger

Post by Inherited Tiger »

If hosting is the issue I am happy to host anything people need. :)

We have lots of space. :)

IT