The Staircase Room

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Lots42

The Staircase Room

Post by Lots42 »

I don't quite 'get' how the staircase is inaccessible. Josh sure seems to ram through whenever he wants. It's been a curious concern for about a decade now. I be old.
- Burbank/Chen 2020. Sexy is as sexy does.
Frank
Location: UTC-4 (that gives you about 12,000 miles to search; 24,000 if you consider DST)

Post by Frank »

Hey, I know this post is almost a year old (and the question, a decade old) but I haven't found any "inaccessible staircase" in my "playings" through the story. Do you think you could give the episode number?
Astra's current state (or where to expand next)
  • 47020: floating by the Wizard of Kamiro
  • 88522: Decently clothed
  • 88539: Indecently clothed
  • 88512: in a crag
  • 88514: Stuck in a crag
  • 88799: Very young
  • 1528 & 58459: reincarnated
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

The famous 'staircase room' is a throwback to "Game 3" aka "Endless Perspectives" at www.addventure.com, a site much like this one that thrived in the mid to late nineties.

At the beginning of the story, a character named 'Scott' finds himself alone in a strange room. He doesn't understand any of it - the teal couches lining the room, the food supplies, the strangely inaccessible staircase plunging through the floor and ceiling.

Josh Burbank is from another demised site called Horsehockey. I don't quite remember how that one goes.

Many authors who used to frequent these other sites ended up being 'refugees' here at Sir-Toby. Scott and Josh tagged along, and weaseled their way into NEQ. They seem to have a very strange relationship.

Scott seems to wear the pants in the relationship. And although both are usually quite insane, Josh seems to be slightly crazier. Scott seems a little more homicidal/sociopath.

Here's a couple of good starting episodes (one of many) :

69459 - The Death of Scott - With Inspirational Insights by Josh Burbank

written by yours truly

or....

18795 - Josh and Scott in the staircase room

by Lots42

Both are good starting points. The Scott & Josh threads tend to be a little far flung. Though at times there is a bit of seriousness thrown in to offset it. There's a lot of 'inside jokes'. A LOT. A lot of recurring characters from addventure.com and horsehockey.net, as well. So for the uninitiated it may not be funny OR interesting.

Basically Scott has turned into a total lazy slob in his old age, and Josh is a restless, emotionally unstable maniac.

It's even been hinted at that the two have engaged in sexual flings. But who knows. It's a scary proposition, quite frankly. :P
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

Edit function doesn't seem to be working for me.

So as far as Lot's question goes...

I always just figured one could JUMP onto the staircase, even though there isn't a landing. One of those pesky little details that never really gets addressed. Sort of adds to the mystique I guess, lol.

The staircase room is almost ALWAYS changing. One thing remains constant, though:

The staircase (of course)
The teal couches
The food supplies
Frank
Location: UTC-4 (that gives you about 12,000 miles to search; 24,000 if you consider DST)

Post by Frank »

When I read it, the first thing I thought of was this:

For the visually impaired, that's a spiral staircase going through the center of a round hole in the ceiling (and another in the roof), but the distance from the edge of the hole to the staircase is too large for the man in the image to reach the staircase with his outstretched arm.

Yes, I was extremely bored today and without internet, but was not bored enough to color it.

Theoretically, jumping onto this interpretation of the staircase is possible (if you ignore the safety rail I "drew" on the hole, actually a graphic device to make sure the figure looks like it's leaning, not running). Of course, you'll probably end three floors lower and with five ribs broken. :)
Astra's current state (or where to expand next)
  • 47020: floating by the Wizard of Kamiro
  • 88522: Decently clothed
  • 88539: Indecently clothed
  • 88512: in a crag
  • 88514: Stuck in a crag
  • 88799: Very young
  • 1528 & 58459: reincarnated
Ben McClellan II

Post by Ben McClellan II »

One thing I've always liked about the staircase room is that it also seems to have an infinite number of rooms surrounding it. Extra bedrooms, a kitchen, your choice of big box stores or restaurants, they're all there for Scott and Josh.

It's been almost fifteen years since Scott's first appearance in the room. Time flies.

Of course, I was always curious to know why Scott ended up there, so in one of my older episodes, I simply had him move out of his parents' house before graduation into this weird, furnished apartment with the spiral staircase right in the middle.
Twitter: @benmcclellan

Horsehockey v5.0: Ongoing! horsehockey dot ORG
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

Yes! I love it.

The staircase room. And yes, we overdo it with the inside jokes. A LOT. And inserting Authors.

but its all in good fun!

good times, good times
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

Hi! My name is Ib! wrote:Josh Burbank is from another demised site called Horsehockey. I don't quite remember how that one goes.
If you can hum a few bars I'll fake it.
Hi! My name is Ib! wrote:The staircase room is almost ALWAYS changing. One thing remains constant, though:

The staircase (of course)
The teal couches
The food supplies
Three, three things remain constant... I'll just come in again.

(As for the food supplies being constant: Not always ;))