Island Game [85747]

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Ben McClellan II

Island Game [85747]

Post by Ben McClellan II »

So, what happens when ten characters are taken out of what they think is just going to be a fun night out, and placed in ten remote islands scattered across the globe?

This is what I've been working on offline for the past few weeks, and while it didn't turn out as elaborate as I was originally envisioning, I'm still pretty happy with it.

The first eleven chapters are done. Now, it's your turn. Maybe we can get this new story to go on for years and years.
Twitter: @benmcclellan

Horsehockey v5.0: Ongoing! horsehockey dot ORG
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

I've always been a fan of the 'stranded on a desert island' theme. It is a perfect platform to launch any number of humorous and rather dramatic storylines.

Do elaborate!

EDIT: Oops. Now I see. Cool. Look forward to reading what you've put forward and adding what I may. I'm in the middle of a move but as soon as I get settled down I'll try to put my two cents in!
Ben McClellan II

Very good. Hopefully, more people would be interested in joining in, once I add a little more to the story.

JH, your thoughts? I've been curious to know what you think about it.

JH

Post by JH »

It seems like a good idea. I hope that you and your collaborators have a lot of fun with it. I doubt that I shall have the time to contribute to it myself. Of course, if a naked princess or two shows up, then that might change. :)
JH
Ben McClellan II

We could always work in a naked princess.

The trouble is, deciding where one would show up. I think only one of the settings I chose is an independent nation, and the rest are outlying territories or a U.S. research base.

"Naked Princess Ashley of McMurdo Station is here!"

Anableps

Post by Anableps »

I added an episode. I am approaching this story with the assumption that Jasper has little knowledge of amateur radio. I am not trying to get into the esoteric points of ham radio operation, but a little background detail might be helpful if someone wants to continue the story. A certain type of radio amateur loves little out-of-the-way islands, especially if the governing country's licencing authority gives the island a unique call sign. For example, stations identifying themselves as VK-something (Australia) are fairly common. But VK0H-something (Heard Island) would be much rarer.

The abbreviation that they use for long-distance communication is DX, and special trips (DXpeditions) are arranged to far-away places just so other hams can get proof of contact to these out-of-the-way places. Proof of a communication (QSO) allows them to rack up another "country" to their totals for the purposes of contests and awards. Kerguelen is one of these islands (FT8X-something).
Ben McClellan II

That was a good one you've added. I really liked the ham radio aspect.

For anyone else out there, I went back and edited the other nine episodes so that new options can be added to them if they chose to branch off there, instead of the very last episode.

Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

Ben McClellan II wrote:We could always work in a naked princess.

The trouble is, deciding where one would show up. I think only one of the settings I chose is an independent nation, and the rest are outlying territories or a U.S. research base.

"Naked Princess Ashley of McMurdo Station is here!"
Considering the nature of the game I assume at least some of the contestants will get off their island and maybe even head in the general direction of the finish line. For most (?) of them there are plenty of countries (including kingdoms) to pass through on the way.
For that matter, princesses have been known to travel, so you may not even have to enter a kingdom to meet one.
JH

Post by JH »

Indeed it seems that Josh may already have met one, if the rumour about Leslie that Lots mentioned is true. :)
JH
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

Yeah, but she'd have to be nuts to get naked in that cold. :roll: