Extend-A-Story Version 2.2.1 Released

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Sir Toby
Site Admin

Extend-A-Story Version 2.2.1 Released

Post by Sir Toby »

I've just released version 2.2.1 of Extend-A-Story on GitHub:

https://github.com/extend-a-story/exten ... /tag/2.2.1

This version uses the mysqli library for database access instead of the mysql library, which is now obsolete. I recommend that everyone upgrade to this version of Extend-A-Story as soon as possible. Even if you are not having problems with usage of the obsolete mysql library, it is only a matter of time before your web host no longer has that library available.
lordreaibn

Re: Extend-A-Story Version 2.2.1 Released

Post by lordreaibn »

The web host i am looking at uses MySQL 5.6 and php 7.3. Will this work?
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

That version of MySQL is a little old. That version of PHP is recent. Extend-A-Story 2.2.1 should work on your host, but I haven't tested those particular versions of MySQL and PHP personally. Give it a try and let me know if you run into any problems.
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

Sir Toby wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:01 pm That version of MySQL is a little old. That version of PHP is recent. Extend-A-Story 2.2.1 should work on your host, but I haven't tested those particular versions of MySQL and PHP personally. Give it a try and let me know if you run into any problems.
I ended up creating a MySQL 5.7 db which works perfectly with extend-a-story. I am running that with PHP 7.2.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Great! I'm glad that you found a combination that works for you. Thank you for letting me know.

I know that there are some aspects of the Extend-A-Story code base that haven't been touched for many years. I suspect that we will continue to run into issues with newer versions of PHP and MySQL. My goal is to finish Extend-A-Story version 3, which should update everything to the latest version. Work on version 3 is progressing slowly though...
flying tiger comics

Post by flying tiger comics »

Hi, my webhost "updated" for me and got the program working again through whatever it was they did.

What I did do through trial and error was make a version of Extend- that can play an inset video. I will write it up properly and add it to a GitHub fork when I have time.

Thanks again for your amazing work, Sir Toby. :)