Favorite Black Void Story

Discussion about The Black Void.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Noise Tank

Favorite Black Void Story

Post by Noise Tank »

To keep things simple, let's stick to the original 30 storylines offered in the beginning as opposed to the numerous branches that spring from it.

I haven't written a ton of episodes for the Black Void (although I'd love to change that), but I have always loved the story of Jaques, the Tour Guide of the Bermuda Triangle, getting sucked into the dark twisted world of the Black Void. I am a horror junkie and there are the seeds of so many great ideas in this premise. Be it a goofy, dark, fun house or a dark psychological thriller, there is the possibility to create any type of horror story you want without it being too jarring.

I've tossed some ideas around in my head about where the adventure could go, but never really sat down to execute it. Right now, I am at a point in my life with a lot of stress and could use a good distraction. Maybe this time (fingers crossed).

What about you? And how is the gang otherwise?
Execute Order 66
JH

Re: Favorite Black Void Story

Post by JH »

Sadly, the Black Void has been pretty much dead in recent years. It would be good if it could be restored to life and health.

I confess that I never really followed the Jacques storyline. It's hard to remember after so long, what my favourite stories were, so I've had to do a lot of searching. Of the main branches established early on, episode 21 option 1 gave rise to some interesting stuff about the quasi-mystical status of the square root of -1. As does episode 23, where our protagonist mysteriously finds herself in a reality where she appears to have been coerced into slavery. I'd recommend proceeding via episode 1631, where she escapes from the facility and finds herself in a desert, and on via 1949, where she somehow finds that she's strayed into an alternative, quasi medieval fantasy reality. Then there's episode 31, where you're on a starbase. And episode 13, about Sarah the elf. (I don't know why, but I really like writing about female protagonists.)

But the best way to find out which stories have most appealed to me is probably to do a search for the author "JH". Warning: there's 351 episodes of mine, though of course a far fewer number of different stories!
JH
JH

Post by JH »

Thanks for 7857. I confess to having forgotten that we'd been collaborating on this story a couple of years back,
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Only because I never continued it. :( Sorry I left you hanging on some of our collaborations in the past. I plan on sticking with this one, though. I'm really enjoying doing this again and I'm excited to see where this could go. If you have any ideas or suggestions, feel free to let me know.
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

Noise Tank wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:53 am Only because I never continued it. :( Sorry I left you hanging on some of our collaborations in the past. I plan on sticking with this one, though. I'm really enjoying doing this again and I'm excited to see where this could go. If you have any ideas or suggestions, feel free to let me know.
I'm enjoying it too. :) As to making suggestions, I very rarely have any idea in advance about where the story is going to go, but if I ever do I'll let you know.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

And just letting you know that might not be able to write an episode per day (such as tonight), I am still very interested in continuing this and will get to it promptly. I plan on sticking around for a while this time. :D
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

Noise Tank wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:07 am And just letting you know that might not be able to write an episode per day (such as tonight), I am still very interested in continuing this and will get to it promptly. I plan on sticking around for a while this time. :D
Great! I certainly wouldn't expect an episode a day. Nobody can keep that up for long.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Sorry I wasn't able to get to it this week. Just letting you know that I haven't forgotten. :) Life has just been busy is all. Hopefully, this weekend.
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

Thanks. :)
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

I just wanted to say that I love your decision to bring Astra to the Black Void in episode 8326. :D This has so much potential and I already have a way to incorporate one of the Never Ending Story's tropes into this world. That's the option I'm working on!

Just curious, was it your intention for that to be Fred in Option 3?
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

Noise Tank wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:49 am I just wanted to say that I love your decision to bring Astra to the Black Void in episode 8326. :D This has so much potential and I already have a way to incorporate one of the Never Ending Story's tropes into this world. That's the option I'm working on!

Just curious, was it your intention for that to be Fred in Option 3?
Glad you like it. I thought a crossover might be fun. I left it open whether Astra should be dressed normally, wearing something ridiculously impractical like a chain-mail bikini, or naked. I felt that one NEQ crossover option might be enough, so I didn't have anyone specifically in mind for option 3. It could be someone we've never met before, or even a crossover from another BV thread.
JH
Anableps

Post by Anableps »

I read episode 8353. I have a reply in progress. I hope to have something posted by Tuesday morning.
JH

Post by JH »

Excellent. :)
JH
JH

Post by JH »

I'm really struggling to write a continuation using any of 8371's three options. I'm finding the underlying logic very troublesome to get a handle on. Also I'm worried that this story within a story is in danger of dragging on indefinitely. Anableps, would you mind if I added a fourth option in which someone in the inn interrupts Roger as he is telling the story before he can take it any further?

Also I'm going away on vacation on Monday and will be offline while I'm away, so if I don't manage to write anything before then it will have to wait until after I return on the 21st.
JH
Anableps

Post by Anableps »

If I left the option to extend 3871 in a different direction, and you wish to introduce a new idea, or just provide a way out of the story-within-a-story, please do so. I have some problems with how I laid out the parent episode 3861. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go in a different direction.

I also added a fourth option to 3871 that wraps up the story-within-a-story and brings the action back to the present, but I do not mind if you choose not to use it.

Enjoy your vacation. :)