Your captcha is broken

General discussion about anything on Sir-Toby.Com that isn't covered by another forum.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Lots42

Your captcha is broken

Post by Lots42 »

I went through -thirty- screens of verifying street signs and ten (TEN) of clicking on buses and it still would not let me in.

FORTY SCREENS and I still could not get through and be verified.

Your captcha is broken.
- Burbank/Chen 2020. Sexy is as sexy does.
JH

Re: Your captcha is broken

Post by JH »

Eek! Poor Lots! AFAIK no one else has had any problems. I'll let Sir Toby know. Hopefully the logs will give him a clue as to what the problem is.

PS I see that you did succeed in posting an episode today, 102843. Was that before or after you ran into trouble?
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Ouch! That's no good. I'm sorry that you're having trouble. Google's reCaptcha system can be a bit tricky sometimes. One trick I've found is on some challenges where it asks you to identify all of something, they will frequently bring up even more images after you click on a few. You have to wait for them to appear and then click on the target object in those images too. In can be a bit of a hassle.

I see that you managed to post an episode after you posted this topic. Hopefully it is working for you now. If you are still having problems, let me know and I'll look into it.
Lots42

Post by Lots42 »

I posted one episode and no problem.

I tried to post a second episode and this was when the chaos started.

I know to wait for a new picture after clicking on one.

This did not help in any way, shape or form.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I don't have any easy answers for you. It is possible there is a problem on Google's side that is causing your problems with the captcha. Another thing to try would be to log in to a Google account, if you have one. I've heard that if you're logged into a Google account you may receive an easier challenge that is just the checkbox.

I'm sorry to say that the captcha isn't going away anytime soon. The spam problem on Extend-A-Story has gotten bad enough that spammers are able to create spam episodes faster than we are able to delete them. Without some sort of anti-spam measure, the only option is to shut down the stories. reCaptcha was something I was able to implement relatively quickly. There are other options I could implement, but they'll take time and I can't promise a time frame on implementing other options.
JH

Post by JH »

"Another thing to try would be to log in to a Google account, if you have one. I've heard that if you're logged into a Google account you may receive an easier challenge that is just the checkbox."

That sounds plausible, going by my own experience. I'm logged in to a Google account, and I only ever seem to get just the checkbox. Indecisive Hedgehog and another, anonymous, user seem to have succeeded in posting a large number of episodes since reCaptcha was introduced. I wonder whether they were logged into Google.

I wonder if it could be Lots trying to post two episodes very close together in time that made reCaptcha suspicious.

If the worst comes to the worst, if Lots PMs his episodes to me I'll post them for him, so long as there aren't too many of them.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

JH wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 amI wonder if it could be Lots trying to post two episodes very close together in time that made reCaptcha suspicious.
During development and testing of my reCaptcha implementation, I found that creating multiple episodes in rapid succession did result in more difficult challenges. It is certainly possible that this could be part of the problem.
Lots42

Post by Lots42 »

I signed onto my Google account and tested it by writing an episode. About Captain America smoking weed. It went through absolutely normally. No problems.
JH

Post by JH »

Good. :)
JH
Anableps

Post by Anableps »

Lots42 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 am I signed onto my Google account and tested it by writing an episode. About Captain America smoking weed. It went through absolutely normally. No problems.
I also created an episode to see how the re-captcha system worked. It looks like the same system my natural gas provider uses when I forget my password. I don't like this particular captcha system. There is too much gray area on some of the questions - for example, when asked about "store fronts" sometimes my response is "it could be, but is not certainly a store front." And if I type the "wrong" response, I get an extra 2-3 cycles of captchas. I just want to pay my bill and move on.

I don't object to it as much on the NEQ, at least so far. I can work with the time penalty. And I understand that due to bad actors on the Internet, that some sort of check had to be implemented for the NEQ to work at all.