episode 82315

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

KR

Post by KR »

Hey, I did imply that I was a bit better now. Although really, not all that much. :) (I mean with women, not writing. My writing has vastly improved since I started, on the whole.) Anyway, I'm waiting for Xavier and/or Ib to take their turn on this thread before I write the next episode, if they want.
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

Hullo. Hope no one minds me sneaking in to throw my lot in with this rather epic thread. I saw JH's comment on Ep 83476 and got all righteous. I hope I can match the standard of writing that's on show here - was captivated by the Neil Gaiman tribute chapter. It can be quite hard to find threads that really advance the story with each episode.

I know I said it on my episode, but please let me know if I make any continuity errors. I've scribbled some vague notes about each character, but the timelines for each of them sometimes threaten to give me migraines.

Also, I'm pretty sure that I had the honour of writing the 50th episode in this thread! Can't believe you stalwarts missed that boat. Sorry, I'm being facetious. I'll stop talking now.
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

Yes, the quality of the writing has been quite exceptional. You too, Cicero. Bravo!

The thing I'm still confused about is the exact nature of Belboz's delicate truce with Minestus. Was it really out of fear? That seems to be becoming unlikely.

Also, Elaine was able to undo Belboz's spell on Sigin, but not the one put in place by Minestus. You would think with his death, all of the dragon-mage's spells would be undone. But obviously this is not the case.
JH

Post by JH »

Yep. Having thought that she was pretty much all-powerful, Elaine is going to be confused and frustrated, which will help to fuel her anger.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

I had an idea, but I'm not sure if it could be made consistent with what Sigin says in episode 82081. Maybe Elaine's reversal spell on him did work properly after all, unknown to her, and his natural form is that of a weretiger. All that Minestus's spell did was trap him permanently in his tiger form.
JH
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

Phew. Right, I've had a stab at describing THE MACHINE. I've done it based on a few ideas that had been bouncing around my head. Hopefully I've left it detailed enough for a mental picture, but vague enough to allow leeway for anyone else to add more details, like big red buttons that say PUSH ME and the like.
JH

Post by JH »

I like your episode. Did you envisage Matthias having written some word such as "courage", or something more mysterious?

"Matthias tried to steal a glance at the dragon-mage, to see if he was watching them"

I was a bit confused by that. Even if he now views Elaine as being Belboz, Belboz wasn't the dragon.
JH
Hi! My name is Ib!

I think he was referring to Sigin there, JH.

Remember Sigin is a dragon mage as well.

Oh, and I also meant to say that I really enjoyed your recent episode, Cicero. You have a real way with words.

Once again, bravo! Encore! Encore!
JH

Post by JH »

Thanks, Ib. That (or at any rate the "dragon" part) had completely slipped my mind.
JH
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

Yeah, you're both pretty much right. I was planning on writing what word Matthias had written, but I think it enhances the privacy of the moment when it's not revealed.

Yes, I was referring to Sigin when Matthias looks at 'the dragon-mage'. I agree that Elaine isn't technically a dragon-mage, therefore I'm assuming that the only one of them left is Sigin.

I've had my eye on Sigin for a few episodes now. I'm getting curious as to exactly why he followed Adele and the others miles and miles to get to Belboz. You would have thought he'd have better things to do. I figured Matthias was the best person to hold these suspicions in the story, plus I thought it would be nice to flesh him out a bit ('mute warrior, loves Adele' was all the notes I had on him up until now).

The choices I created at the end were just 11:30pm brainstorms before I went to bed. Feel free to add your own option, dudes.
Hi! My name is Ib!

The mystery of Matthias's word was brilliant. A very myseterious and human moment in this thread, Cicero. That was a great way to end that episode. We'll probably never know what it was ol' boy traced in the dirt, and maybe that's for the best.

JH, Cicero, Xavier, Knight Random...you guys rock. Oh, Eric Kantona too!
WolfRun

Post by WolfRun »

Hi Guys,

I've posted a synopsis of this storyline over at my Wolfrun site. It can be found under the heading "Lord Fred & The Companions of the Dragon's Caves". But just so you know, I've only gotten to the point where Elaine tries to restore Sigin to his true form. Hopefully I'll have time to finish it later on. Or at least keep updating it as you add to the story.

But then again, I keep promising myself I'll add to "Borderlands", and that hasn't happened in quite a while. :)
JH

Post by JH »

Excellent news. Thanks!
JH
Hi! My name is Ib!

Thank you, good sir! Even if you're very familiar with the thread, it never hurts to read one of WolfRun's synopsis.

You might see something in a different light, or discover some small detail you might have missed. It's also nice to see his interpretation of certain things.

And don't feel bad, WolfRun. I spent like 40 bucks on this map making software and was set on making a very elaborate map of Fred's world (based partly on your map, the Traveller's map, and what's been written) but have yet to get around to it.

:(
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

Dude! I can't believe I helped write one of the only 8 stories to be granted a hallowed place in Wolfrun's site. Thanks Wolfrun!