Battles

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Lots42

Battles

Post by Lots42 »

Writing battles is far, far less fun then writing Astra and Fred yelling at each other or Velus being a lech or King Emry mooning about past loves (of either gender).

Thoughts? The threads where Fred faces the dragon in battle tend to not go anywhere. Stacy and Astra being bitchy to each other do.
- Burbank/Chen 2020. Sexy is as sexy does.
Anableps

Post by Anableps »

It is a good question, and I do think that it depends on what you enjoy writing, and what you mean by "go somewhere."

I think that it may be easier to come up with interesting options in an episode that presents some open-ended problems, such as Astra yelling at Fred or a complication in the king's personal life. A battle, by its nature, usually comes to an end, and once Fred or the dragon wins, it can be difficult to find something compelling for the winner to do. Writers interested in the fun of writing action of battle scenes may not be thinking about coming up with interesting options at the end of the episode. On the other hand, there are a number of WolfRun battle episodes that are a lot of fun to read, and they can be extended a number of different ways.
JH

Post by JH »

I find battle episodes hard to write, I think because they require a lot of detailed description. Episodes that consist mostly of dialogue are easier to write.
JH
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

Totally.

The whole Fred vs. the Dragon thing is anti-climactic when it FINALLY comes down to Fred vs. the Dragon. Even very detailed battles can become quite boring after a few paragraphs. The thing that GRABS the reader is the interplay between different personalities which spark humor and intrigue.
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

I find swordfights in particular a descriptive nightmare. This is because there kind of is only one word for sword.......that being 'sword'. Occasionally you can use 'blade' or even 'weapon'. 'Sharp metal tool of killing' is pretty desperate.

Magical fights are a bit easier. Colours are usually important (my favourite is purple). An inevitable verb will be either 'chant', 'incant' or 'cast', and cool words like 'arcane', 'nether' and 'elemental' can be employed without ridicule. Well, sometimes.