Pomona and Valinda

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Won-Tolla

Pomona and Valinda

Post by Won-Tolla »

I just introduced a couple of old 'friends' into NEQ. They have a bit of background that will most likely bore you to death.
Ages ago I played a postal fantasy game run by some fellow in Greenberry, Valinda. At some point I mentioned that Valinda Greenberry would be a great name for a fantasy character. Don't know if that had any effect on what happened later.
A couple of weeks later my character met a half-elf lady called Pomona. I didn't think particularly much about it until a couple of months later when I got in touch with a fantasy artist from a city called... Pomona. I told her about Pomona from Valinda and suggested that she should create a half-elf called Valinda to complete the symmetry. Which she did.
So for some time there was a Pomona from Valinda and a Valinda from Pomona. Later I got into group based games, and whenever I could get away with it I would name two characters Pomona and Valinda and make them half-elves, or at least elves, in momory of these strange events. And even in games that didn't allow that much detail I considered the two as twin sisters.
And now they are sort of back online. You don't have to make them twins or even sisters, and I guess they will only be full or half elves if the scenario allows for it. But now you know, and knowing is half the battle. Even if it is just a reenactment.

(Oh, and for those who can't be bothered to use the search engine, it's chapter 73026.)
JH

Post by JH »

Nice episodes. I think this thread more properly belongs under the "Never Ending Quest" area of the forum, but only Sir Toby has the power to move it.

BTW, I've just sent you an email, pointing out that it's "Nendi" not "Nendri", so that 73024 option 1 and 73026 need editing.
JH
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

Funny, I was sure I put it there. Duh.
JH

Post by JH »

I left my message here at about the same time that I emailed you, before you did your edits to put things right.
JH
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

Just some reflections about Nendi. She achieved protagonist status when Lots named her in 71643, before that she was just "one of the hotties" Robert wished for in 12556. Since then there have been a couple of references to her being recently created, but also something about her remembering things from the past. So which is it?
Personally I have no problems with genies not creating things whenever someone makes a wish. In fact that was a recurring theme in a story I wrote some years ago. (My favourite is the part where the protagonist wishes to get home unseen, and the genie arranges for her to arrive after nightfall rather than make her invisible or create a distraction.)
So if it was up to me I would say Nendi and the others existed before, the genie just brought them to the yacht. The subject of their past just hasn't come up yet.
Discuss.

(Oh, and if anyone's curious about that story, it's not online. It was originally written in Norwegian, and I tried translating it for a contest a while ago but gave up when it got too long.)

Another thing... Nendi went exploring and found a magic tapestry which brought her to another reality, then she escaped to a different castle where she found another tapestry that brought her to where she is
"now".
Just wondering.... Did someone forget to sharpen their Occam's Razor, or does the second layer of tapestry serve any particular purpose? I left the new options open in 71862, so the new plot could easily (?) have branched off from there.
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

As to the first point: in my mind, Nendi was a construct but one that turned out to be a bit more than Robert asked for. She has the ability to sometimes absorb knowledge and cultural context, which was necessary for her to function even in a limited way. Though it doesn't seem to work in the past for whatever reason (IE I'd forgotten about it. :oops:)

As to the second point, my intention was that the castle was somewhere in the real world (probably the same place where the events in the past took place) and Nendi ended up there when she left the previous tapestry. The girl she met in the first tapestry said that it was possible to travel to other tapestries through the forest, so when she left she exited through one into a different part of the real world. I'm sorry if that was unclear.
JH

Post by JH »

I think this thread more properly belongs under the "Never Ending Quest" area of the forum, but only Sir Toby has the power to move it.
I was wrong. I never knew until now that I could do that. Oh, the power! :)
JH