Not receiving email...

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

El' MooCow

Not receiving email...

Post by El' MooCow »

Yeah. A few of my episodes, in which I have definitely checked 'Send me an email when this episode is extended', have been extended, yet I haven't got an e-mail.

I check my junk folders too, so that can't be it.

Could it be because I'm using a hotmail account?
Please, by all means, extend any of my episodes. It's good to know someone out there is actually reading the crap I'm writing.
JH

Post by JH »

I wouldn't have thought so, unless Hotmail is incorrectly identifying the notifications as spam and discarding them. Are you sure that you've entered your email address correctly on each episode?
JH
El' MooCow

Post by El' MooCow »

Yes, I'm sure.
Please, by all means, extend any of my episodes. It's good to know someone out there is actually reading the crap I'm writing.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I've heard one other complaint about a similar matter via private email a while ago. This shouldn't be too hard to diagnose. Just create an episode in the beta test story and configure it to notify you when the episode is extended. I will go extend the episode and track down the email reply to see what happens to it. Let me know when you have an appropriate episode in the beta test story, and I will take the next step.
El' MooCow

Post by El' MooCow »

Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Okay, I've extended the episode and took a look at my logs. From what I can tell, it looks like the emails are leaving my system successfully. I am not seeing any bounces or any errors in my logs. However, I did see a note in my logs that indicates Hotmail is queing the emails I am sending you, instead of immediately sending them. This will delay your emails, but you should eventually receive them.

At this point, I would suggest checking with Hotmail support to see if they can tell what is going on. If the emails are delayed for a very long time (typically 5 days), a bounce should be generated. I will continue checking for bounces on this end, but since the emails appear to be leaving my server successfully, the problem would appear to be on Hotmail's side.

Let me know if you ever start seeing these emails, or if I can be of further assistance in diagnosing this issue.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I still have not seen any bounce messages or errors in my email log for your email address. Have you gotten any emails, or have you had a chance to check with Hotmail to see if they have any ideas what's going on?
El' MooCow

Post by El' MooCow »

Nope, still haven't gotten any emails.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Do you have a support contact for Hotmail to see if they can help us determine what is happening? As far as I can tell from my logs, the email is being accepted by Hotmail. Perhaps they think the email is spam and silently discard it? When I checked on the Hotmail web site, I didn't see any obvious support contact for me to try. I support I could try sending a message to postmaster@hotmail.com, but if emails from my server are being blocked, I probably won't have much luck there.
El' MooCow

Post by El' MooCow »

I'll try emailing the postmaster for some more info.
JH

Post by JH »

If all else fails, you could always get an email account with say Yahoo or gmail, in addition to your Hotmail account, just for use here. I think we have users here who use both of those, and I haven't heard of their having had any problems.
JH