mm

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Noise Tank

mm

Post by Noise Tank »

Mine is to keep on getting better at writing episodes yet still having fun.
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

That sounds like a very good ambition to me. :)
JH
JH

Post by JH »

Oh, and I should have said that I think that your writing is much improved. :)
JH
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Mine is to offend as much as possible without getting banned.
Ben McClellan

Post by Ben McClellan »

I would just like to be able to finish what I'm writing and get it posted on the site without thinking "I can't write any more!", saving what I've added, and not touching it for days on end.

Burnout is a horrible thing.

-Ben
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

I still have a ways to go. Can you give me any advice on how I can improve my episodes?
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

You're doing well. :)

I'd suggest doing a careful final proof read of your episodes just before posting them, to check for things like missing words and misspellings.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

By chance, I've just stumbled on this:

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/PlausibilityinFantasy.html

It has much good advice for anyone seeking to write fantasy, on how to make one's story plausible to the reader.
JH
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Hoho, I like the part about dwelling in your fantasy world while writing it. That seems right up my alley.

Of course that doesn't mean that I'm going to be writing myself into NEQ (too often). But many episodes seem to forget about things like food and water and using the bathroom, getting sufficient sleep, etc.

Life is not easy and fun. If Fred goes to a cheap common brothel, for example, it is very likely that he will catch herpes or some other wasting disease of the genitals.

That's it! From now on my episodes will be written according to the advice of Ursula K. LeGuin. Watch out, world!!
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Feel free to contact me suggestions anytime. I'm here not only to have fun, but to improve.
Execute Order 66
TCO

Post by TCO »

Ben McClellan wrote:I would just like to be able to finish what I'm writing and get it posted on the site without thinking "I can't write any more!", saving what I've added, and not touching it for days on end.

Burnout is a horrible thing.

-Ben
This is something I can really relate to, starting and not finishing. Trouble is, when I start again it's usually with a complete rewrite. Bit of a vicious circle, at times.
...the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. - Dr. Who
JH

Post by JH »

I find that it's the starting the writing of an episode that's my biggest problem. If I can just manage to force myself to write the first paragraph, then I can usually manage a bit more. If I run out of ideas after only three or four paragraphs, then I am happy to post it at that point, and to hope that the next writer will have more inspiration than me.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

I usually don't have a hard time starting an episode. It's finishing it that's the problem. I currently have six episodes in a row planned, and am on the 5th one, but I have such a hard time finishing it.

Also, editing is a large pet-peeve of mine. I know I have to because I always catch dozens of mistakes in my episodes when I do edit, but I hate it and try to find ways to avoid it.
Execute Order 66
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

My life is complete.
I've been quoted in someone's signature.
:D ;)
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Won-Tolla wrote:My life is complete.
I've been quoted in someone's signature.
:D ;)
If that were true, my life would've been completed years ago! :shock:
Execute Order 66