27790 and 27889

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Knight Random

27790 and 27889

Post by Knight Random »

MSG, I haven't really been keeping up with Doctor Who: Eternal Champion all that well, largely due to the fact that I know next to nothing about Farscape, but these were well-thought-out and interesting episodes. You did a good job of using our discussions in a way that made sense within the episodes.

There did seem to be a few editing slips, though. I think by "Mengula" you meant "Mengele." (27790) In 27889, the Brigadier presumably means "I like it when authors tried to explain character motives through theirunderstanding of human (or non-human) nature rather than arbitrary laws of behavior" rather than "I liked when authors tried to explain character motives through my understanding of human (or non-human) nature rather than arbitrary laws of behavior." It should be "On the other hand" rather than "In the other hand," although this was probably my error. And the last paragraph taken from our discussion clearly doesn't belong in this context. But these are all minor things, on the whole this is a fine episode.

By the way, now we're crossing over with the Matrix? Seems like that thread has crossed over with just about everything except "X-Men" now. :) Sometimes, though, I really wish you wouldn't pack all these crossovers into one plotline--it's a bit much, to be honest. And I have to say that it's a bit confusing to have discussions of matrixes in an episode that's a crossover with The Matris.
MSG

Re: 27790 and 27889

Post by MSG »

Knight Random wrote:MSG, I haven't really been keeping up with Doctor Who: Eternal Champion all that well, largely due to the fact that I know next to nothing about Farscape, but these were well-thought-out and interesting episodes. You did a good job of using our discussions in a way that made sense within the episodes.
Thanks. :mrgreen:
Knight Random wrote:There did seem to be a few editing slips, though. I think by "Mengula" you meant "Mengele." (27790) In 27889, the Brigadier presumably means "I like it when authors tried to explain character motives through theirunderstanding of human (or non-human) nature rather than arbitrary laws of behavior" rather than "I liked when authors tried to explain character motives through my understanding of human (or non-human) nature rather than arbitrary laws of behavior." It should be "On the other hand" rather than "In the other hand," although this was probably my error. And the last paragraph taken from our discussion clearly doesn't belong in this context. But these are all minor things, on the whole this is a fine episode.
Thanks, will fix those here soon.
Knight Random wrote:By the way, now we're crossing over with the Matrix? Seems like that thread has crossed over with just about everything except "X-Men" now. :) Sometimes, though, I really wish you wouldn't pack all these crossovers into one plotline--it's a bit much, to be honest. And I have to say that it's a bit confusing to have discussions of matrixes in an episode that's a crossover with The Matris.
:twisted:
So do some of my co-author's! :P

Seriously, though, this Matrix crossover into the Dr. Who thread I just could NOT resist. After all, let's look at it, eh? We have Inquirer (an AI and product of cyberspace) going into the Torg Godnet (a VR cyberspace place with very religious (Catholic based, though admittedly corrupted by the vile men in the clergy)...and we are just a few days post Matrix II opening!

Come on, why the *#$%@ not? :wink:

Besides, being that ragan (my co-author) on this thread isn't comfortable with her knowledge of Torg's Cyberpapacy (the High Lord of that realm, anyway) I figure that this would be more to her liking. :D
MSG
ragan

Post by ragan »

Hello! Hey, I think this is my first post on the new Bboard... How 'bout that...

Anyway. Knight Random wrote:
MSG, I haven't really been keeping up with Doctor Who: Eternal Champion all that well, largely due to the fact that I know next to nothing about Farscape,
Oh, you should! Farscape rocks. If you get the Sci-Fi Channel, they're re-running it now at midnight Eastern time from Sun-Thurs.

And:
Sometimes, though, I really wish you wouldn't pack all these crossovers into one plotline--it's a bit much, to be honest.
Heh. Yeah, funnily enough, I did just say pretty much exactly the same thing via e-mail. :) Mind you, it certainly does keep things interesting! But I do occasionally worry about my ability to keep up...

And MSG wrote:
Besides, being that ragan (my co-author) on this thread isn't comfortable with her knowledge of Torg's Cyberpapacy (the High Lord of that realm, anyway) I figure that this would be more to her liking.
Yeah, but now I gotta go watch The Matrix again! :)

I admit, I often get a bit overly concerned with whether I can write a particular crossover when I'm not 100% certain about it or don't consider myself an "expert" in that particular universe, or in the relevant aspects of it. Which is one reason I've been enjoying the Farscape crossover, actually. I know that universe like the back of my hand! The Blake's 7 bit we did a while back was fun for much the same reason (although I still feel a bit badly about how poor of an impression those characters seemed to make on everyone they encountered. :)) I should probably not stress about it so much. I mean, you're willing to leap in with both feet even when you've only seen a few episodes (e.g. the Blake's 7 thing again), and you don't seem to do too badly!
Knight Random

Post by Knight Random »

ragan wrote:Hello! Hey, I think this is my first post on the new Bboard... How 'bout that...

MSG, I haven't really been keeping up with Doctor Who: Eternal Champion all that well, largely due to the fact that I know next to nothing about Farscape,
Oh, you should! Farscape rocks. If you get the Sci-Fi Channel, they're re-running it now at midnight Eastern time from Sun-Thurs.

And:
Sometimes, though, I really wish you wouldn't pack all these crossovers into one plotline--it's a bit much, to be honest.
Heh. Yeah, funnily enough, I did just say pretty much exactly the same thing via e-mail. :) Mind you, it certainly does keep things interesting! But I do occasionally worry about my ability to keep up...
Hi Ragan! Welcome to the new board! I was beginning to wonder whether you were still alive. :) I suppose this means you'll finally start writing some new episodes. :)

Anyway, my not knowing about Farscape is also a problem because I intend to start a spinoff off "Doctor Who: Eternal Champion" which takes place in the same variant universe as the ATFF spinoff I'm involved in. I'm not sure I'll be able to write Chiana's character.

It also seems to me that the way MSG used my correspondence opened up some interesting new avenues. I'm now somewhat curious as to the Brigadier's relations with his family. Not to mention what he thinks of as his local library. I presume that would be the TARDIS Library. How exactly does that work, anyway? Does it automatically acquire new books somehow? Or does the Doctor have to find new books for it? Does it contain all the books that the Doctor will store there in the future but which he hasn't found yet, and if so what would happen if there was a major timeline change? And is there also some kind of multiversal library on Terra? That would actually be an interesting idea. You could have a whole thread about the people who travel around the multiverse finding books for it...

You know, it's scary where your mind will wander when you let it. :)
JH

Post by JH »

ragan wrote:Hello! Hey, I think this is my first post on the new Bboard... How 'bout that...

That makes three of us, then. :)
JH
ragan

Post by ragan »

Knight Random wrote:
Hi Ragan! Welcome to the new board! I was beginning to wonder whether you were still alive. :) I suppose this means you'll finally start writing some new episodes. :)
Yup, still alive! And I have been writing a few new episodes, but they've all been on MSG's Dr. Who thread. I'm actually kind of glad he keeps prompting me to keep writing, because otherwise I suspect I might be inclined to just drift away from NEQ entirely, and that would be a shame. (Uh, a shame for me, that is, not for NEQ, which I'm sure could trundle on quite nicely without me.) I do keep thinking that I really ought to go back and extend the thread where Fred is a space smuggler (which I thought was great fun), or some of the Stacy storylines, but there's just way too much stuff in my life competing for my time and attention these days.
Anyway, my not knowing about Farscape is also a problem because I intend to start a spinoff off "Doctor Who: Eternal Champion" which takes place in the same variant universe as the ATFF spinoff I'm involved in. I'm not sure I'll be able to write Chiana's character.
Well, if you need any info on her, I'd be happy to oblige. Actually, you know, I'd be more than happy to write up a little bio of her with everything you'd need on her background and personality and post it here. (I think MSG has capsule bio on his website (right MSG?), but I imagine you could use a more detailed version.)

And, hey, if you'd like to watch some Farscape (especially Chiana eps), I've been copying tapes for people. Send me your snail-mail addy, and I'll add you to the list! :)
I presume that would be the TARDIS Library. How exactly does that work, anyway? Does it automatically acquire new books somehow? Or does the Doctor have to find new books for it? Does it contain all the books that the Doctor will store there in the future but which he hasn't found yet, and if so what would happen if there was a major timeline change?
I suspect it's probably better (or at least more in line with the show's "idiom") not to ask questions like that about the TARDIS. :)
And is there also some kind of multiversal library on Terra? That would actually be an interesting idea. You could have a whole thread about the people who travel around the multiverse finding books for it...
You know, that is kind of a neat idea! (Says the inveterate bookworm...)