Hello everybody

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

TRanger

Hello everybody

Post by TRanger »

I love this website! During my spare time the last few days I've just been enjoying as many different stories as I can read, but I finally decided to join up yesterday and try to write a couple of chapters of my own (starting at 1637). I was just wondering if I anybody could give this rookie any advice?
Noise Tank

Riley?

Post by Noise Tank »

Welcome TRanger

Are you the one who wrote those fifteen episodes today? If these were your first episodes, I think you're on the right track (Trust me. You don't want to see the horror my first episodes brought here)

Just follow the basic rules: Work hard, read over and edit your episode, be creative, and have fun.
Execute Order 66
Anableps

Post by Anableps »

I think 1637 is a good first episode.

If you have not read the guidelines yet, then those should be helpful.
JH

Post by JH »

Welcome! I hope that you have a lot of fun. The guidelines that Anableps mentioned can be found here:

http://www.sir-toby.com/extend-a-story/ ... lines.html

As moderator of the two stories that the site has running at the moment, I'm the person responsible for seeing that the guidelines are complied with. Thankfully it's normally not a very onerous task.

Coincidentally, the just posted 10057 goes very close to the limits of what is acceptable, but in my judgement is done so cleverly and so humorously that it should be let be.
JH
TCO

Post by TCO »

Greetings TRanger :)
...the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. - Dr. Who
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

Welcome, new guy! Advice? Have fun! And try to build on some of my episodes. ;)

On a side note, a young composer once asked Mozart how to write symphonies.
The master replied, "Forget it, you're not ready."
"But," the young hopeful pointed out, "you wrote symphonies when you were five!"
"That is true," Mozart admitted. "But I did not need to ask anyone how."
:twisted:
TRanger

Post by TRanger »

Thanks for the nice welcome everybody, and thanks for the link to the guidelines!

Yep I'm the one who wrote 15 or so episodes that one day. I've signed everything Riley if anybody wants to look at what I've wrote.

[quote="Won-Tolla"]
On a side note, a young composer once asked Mozart how to write symphonies.
The master replied, "Forget it, you're not ready."
"But," the young hopeful pointed out, "you wrote symphonies when you were five!"
"That is true," Mozart admitted. "But I did not need to ask anyone how."
:twisted:[/quote]

Hey I didn't ask how to write a story now... :P

One other quick question though, about how old does an episode need to be when it's acceptable to add on to it? I know there's nothing in the guidelines, but I figure there might be some unwritten code where it's considered poor taste to add on to something that's only a day/week or whatever old. I just don't want to add on to an episode if the original author still intends to come back and do something with that specific part.
JH

Post by JH »

There's no need to wait. The whole idea of the NEQ is that it's a collaboration. If the original author had a continuation in mind from an option that you've taken, he or she can always use Add New Option.
JH