Yay, Toby is back.

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Crimson

Yay, Toby is back.

Post by Crimson »

Does this mean Extend-A-Story is going to have a future verson?

I personally like to see author registeration feature to make sure the story doesn't go crazy. Banning the crazy authors while keeping the sane ones.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: Yay, Toby is back.

Post by Sir Toby »

Crimson wrote:Does this mean Extend-A-Story is going to have a future verson?
Yeah, we'll certainly have future versions. However, the release schedule is on a strict "whenever I feel like it" basis. That is to say, there is a lot going on in my life right now, and updating Extend-A-Story isn't at the top of my priority list at the moment. However, it looks like I'll be doing some PHP coding at my work place soon. Hopefully I'll learn some more tricks for working with PHP and be inspired to work on Extend-A-Story some more. We'll see...
Crimson wrote:I personally like to see author registeration feature to make sure the story doesn't go crazy. Banning the crazy authors while keeping the sane ones.
That is something I've thought about. I was under the impression here that some people liked being able to remain anonymous while writing, and would object to being forced to register in order to write. I am also thinking about making registering optional. You would still be able to write anonymously. However, if you were to register, you would have better ability to edit episodes you have written, such as not being restricted to only editing the episodes from the computer you created them.
JoshB

Post by JoshB »

Crimson wrote:I personally like to see author registeration feature to make sure the story doesn't go crazy. Banning the crazy authors while keeping the sane ones.
That is something I've thought about. I was under the impression here that some people liked being able to remain anonymous while writing, and would object to being forced to register in order to write. I am also thinking about making registering optional. You would still be able to write anonymously. However, if you were to register, you would have better ability to edit episodes you have written, such as not being restricted to only editing the episodes from the computer you created them.
I could see advantages of doing this. I have seen in the past when somebody has written an episode and using my name to make it look like I wrote it.

Well, if the registration is set up correctly, we can either find out who actualy wrote it (heh) or if the episode was written by an intentionally unregistered user, I would be able to have editing powers. Thus I would be able to go in and change it or delete the submitted episode. However, this might not work if my name gets mispelled (well I can register both with my last name spelled correctly and the popular misspelling of my last name).

Anyway - it's food for thought.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

JoshB wrote:Anyway - it's food for thought.
All very good points. It sounds like optional author registration would be a very useful feature from several standpoints.

This feature has been filed in the feature request tracker for the Extend-A-Story project at SourceForge:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=504951