28152: Atlantis

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Y

28152: Atlantis

Post by Y »

I think so far that KR has done the most Atlantis episodes... but even if I'm wrong, he has done the most recent. This new episode is an extension of an old thread. I simply want to say that the Atlantis described IS different than the Atlantis described in 27675: Andromeda. How is it different?

Well, for starters, in "Andromeda" the Atlanteans have been living underwater the entire time since the sinking of their city. Their culture has adapted, changed, the people too. In "the Atlans" the Atlans (just another way of saying "Atlanteans") have been frozen, in suspended hibernation, asleep the entire time. They have NOT changed since the sinking of Atlantis because FROM THEIR POV the sinking occured only a short time ago.

This brings up another difference: when did Atlantis exist?

In "Andromeda" the sinking occurred while Allaria existed as a Kingdom! That means within the last 500 to 1000 years or so (guessing from what most authors have said about Allaria's past).

In "the Atlans" the sinking occurred before Man came to power on the Continent... ie, while Mankind was still in barbaric tribes and the dwarves and orcs ruled the Continent (based also on what a number of authors have written about the past). This means tha Atlantis sank even before the Great Empire! that is a loooooooong time ago!

p.s. for all you folk worried that I've set up a situation where the Atlans will starve to death... don't worry, they've got seabirds and fish to eat! Once they catch them, that is.
Ib

Post by Ib »

Mmm, seabirds.

That's all I really have to say.
Knight Random

Post by Knight Random »

Actually, I had in mind in "Andromeda" that Atlantis did sink a very long time ago. They have mostly kept apart from the surface people but for some reason needed the aid of the Allarians a number of centuries in the past. "The Atlans" is a very interesting episode, by the way.

An episode body search for "Atlantis" reveals that MSG AKA Grimm Reader wrote the overwhelming majority of episodes involving Atlantis. Wolfrun and JH wrote a few, mostly in MSG's threads, and I wrote two.
JH

Post by JH »

I like "The Atlans" a lot. One query, fairly incidental to the story:

If the Altans and city itself were magically preserved in some sort of suspended animation, why didn't that apply to the animal and plant life as well?
JH

Post by Guest »

JH: "If the Altans and city itself were magically preserved in some sort of suspended animation, why didn't that apply to the animal and plant life as well?"

My thought is this: whoever sunk them hated them, wanted to punish them - this is the reference to the "betrayal." Whoever did this - and I have no idea who (the Grecians, a fellow Atlan, or some other enemy) - would not preserve something that would later help the Atlans. Whoever did this wanted to seriously hurt, destroy, and exterminate the Atlans...and so no reason to keep any animal/plant life. Why didn't this enemy just kill the Atlans? I'm not sure... maybe the natural magic of the Atlans kept that from happening?

This might be one of the things developed by any interested writers...

PS: I guess the reason I thought KR was the prolific Atlantis writer was because of the recent episode and the old episode which I extended... sorry MSG but KR stuck in my mind.

PPS: as to Andromeda and its "timeline" yor description, KR, about the "recent" meeting of the Atlanteans and the Allarians makes sense to me, making a more ancient sinking non-contradictory... can't wait to see where that line goes!