Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Y

Post by Y »

With a group THAT big I found myself getting a headache trying to figure out who's who. So I decided to make the group a little smaller (by one) and to separate them... makes it easier to know who to write about - if anyone feels like they'd like to follow up on mine I'd love to see a recap on WHO is exactly there.

Sorry MSG but there are times when you write as if everyone knows what's in your head and has followed every piece of your writing. As you can see from a few other authors on this BB when the story is SO BIG and full of SO MANY characters and SO MANY storylines pieced together... it... gets... CONFUSING!!! :shock: my brain hurts and its all your fault :wink:

I would like to say that the concepts within the Checkers thread and its offshoots are very interesting, and the Champions too - though my taste is more towards barbaric realism! :twisted: as you may have guessed by some of my episodes. I was really tempted to write in a line about Fertal's head exploding, but then thought it'd be too much. (I'm saving that for a *special* episode) :D

keep writing and have fun!
MSG

Balance and Inter-Office Politics

Post by MSG »

BTW, in case you were wondering why things get so chaotic (i.e. confusing) in what I'm writing right now it goes back to something I said about Inter-Office Politics. See, back early on in the Who thread, I had written where, in order for the Doctor to fix what the Master had done with the VLA, he had to send out a strange pulse (parameters supplied by the Rules) that in results fixed things, but changed that universe in a small but VERY lasting way (pardon the pun). Basically, Dr. Who's (and a few other) universes are now what we call "Steady State" universe. No big crush or whatever. Goes on and on without end (time wise), in effect. Also in effect, that pretty much mucked up the purpose of existence for several Agents (who amongst other things supervise entropy...which would eventually cause the whoniverse as a whole to collapse back in upon itself, in destruction). Sounds grim, but what's a Celestrial to do when they're assigned something by the Higher Up(s), eh? :twisted:

Well, both Agents and Rules (unlike Angels and Demons) get along in a friendly manner (needing each other to define each other's Purpose and Existence). Friends, basically, despite their Purposes. Ying and Yang, basically, in effect. But to keep things in Balance some "gimmes" had to be given to the Agents for what the Rules did. So instead of having Chaos causing eventaul collapsing universes, we're having to have a log of "other" kinds of chaos. Chaotic situations that keep visiting the Champion's lives. They radiate the stuff in invisible, non-detectable (besides the weirdness that follows them like a cloud). That'll be the nature of things until a Balance is restored, you see. Several centuries, until then....or maybe something really BIG and then the Balance will be restored.

STAY TUNED!
MSG
JH

Re: 28017

Post by JH »

Y wrote:With a group THAT big I found myself getting a headache trying to figure out who's who. So I decided to make the group a little smaller (by one) and to separate them... makes it easier to know who to write about - if anyone feels like they'd like to follow up on mine I'd love to see a recap on WHO is exactly there.
I'm intending to follow it up. In fact I spent my lunch break at work writing something, and emailed it to my home account. But it doesn't seem to have turned up. :( All is not lost, as I still have the original at work. [Added a few minutes later: it's just turned up!]

If you rewind a few episodes you'll see that I've given everyone's names and specified whether they are human or elf. If you'd like more detailed histories, they can be found on MSG's bio pages.

If you'd like something intermediate in level of detail, well all nine are Champions, and thus supposedly immortal (which means they'll be even more shocked by what has just happened). Four of the elves only became Champions recently: Jenny and Tarin (who was once a dwarf), who are a couple; and Artizza and the late Fertal (who were until recenty an Astra and a Fred, became dark elves, became Champions and got married all in short order).

The other two elves are old hands, and also a married couple. Ia'adoire, the female, was once a Fred, and Lueoth, the male, was once an Astra.

As for the three humans, Knight Random has recently told Jarlath's history very well. Jarlath is married to both Astra 9 - a "standard" Astra except that she only looks 18 because she became a Champion at that age and Champions don't age after their 18th birthday - and to Annafrid. Annafrid was once a Fred, but was transformed by wizardry into a buxom, blonde knock-out of a woman with no memory of her old self.
JH
Knight Random

Post by Knight Random »

That was a very good episode, and JH's extension was also very good. But now I'm starting to feel as if the branch I originally wrote in is becoming a bit superfluous. :)

And the reason I haven't yet replied to the weightier posts made by Y and MSG is that I'm still considering my response. Sometimes, I post without thinking enough, and I'm trying to avoid that here.
Y

a bit of a problem

Post by Y »

JH, thanks for the quick description on who the Champions are, I appreciate that. :)

I have to say one thing that bothers me, however: MSG, you wrote in your unattached message regarding my episode these words: "IT'S YOUR THREAD AND YOUR STORY LINE NOW, Y. GO AHEAD AND DO WHAT YOU WANT."

I don't understand why you are so sensitive about other authors putting in their two cents, but that's you, not me. As to this particular Checkers/Champions thread (and there are at least two) it is NOT "my" thread... it belongs to any and all authors who wish to participate.

The GREAT thing about Sir Toby's site is that multiple authors with differing ideas can write to their heart's content.

To All Authors: the Checkers/Champions Thread does NOT belong to ME, nor to any ONE author! ... for crying out loud, this was my FIRST contribution to this thread and I get a message saying I'm trying to take it over???

To MSG: there are multiple threads with all your characters where they are still as happy and alive as you wish them to be! If you don't like my episode don't add to it, and if you wish to circumvent it add to a different option from the mother episode... THAT is what the OPTION button is all about - it allows for CREATIVE differences!!! :)

Again I say, it is the mingling of different authors and different perspectives that creates a great potential for any story! :wink:

I won't belabor this point anymore, if you guys like the story ADD to it, if your think it sucks, DON'T add, but I don't want anyone thinking that I added to this story to make it "mine" - as far as I'm concerned it belongs to ALL authors who contribute.

p.s. I know how sensitive some people can get over words... this message is not a spam, flame, spit, or whatever other words are used to signify a slap in the face to MSG. As far as I'm concerned he had his say and I have had mine, end of discussion. Again, the final arbiter are all the authors who make choices as to which episodes they extend and what plotlines they include. like I said before, write and have fun! 8)
Knight Random

Post by Knight Random »

JH wrote:Jarlath is married to both Astra 9 - a "standard" Astra except that she only looks 18 because she became a Champion at that age and Champions don't age after their 18th birthday - and to Annafrid. Annafrid was once a Fred, but was transformed by wizardry into a buxom, blonde knock-out of a woman with no memory of her old self.
Not exactly. Considering that Jarlath is Fred's brother, that probably wouldn't work out. :) But actually, if I remember correctly, Annafrid was some kind of construct who originally had the memories of Fred and some random peasant girl. MSG's web site would be the final authority, of course.

Yeah, I know, I'm taking a break from EAS to recover myself, but just for writing, not reading and commenting. If I stopped reading EAS, I'd get comletely lost, and nothing can chain my inner nitpicker. :)
Knight Random

Post by Knight Random »

I'm assuming, for your sake, that you haven't yet read MSG's message where he talks about his motivations for making the Champions immortal. If you haven't, please do so. It's perfectly alright to disagree with MSG--I've certainly done so many times :)--but I can't help but feel that the tone of your message was too vehement. You should treat him with more respect, even more so considering what he's been through.
WolfRun

Episode 28017

Post by WolfRun »

First of all, due to the emotional and (to me) rather strange (or perhaps strained would be better the better word) atmosphere around here right now, let me preface this by saying this is in no way a flame or a spit or whatever.

Episode 28017 was a great friggin episode! I don't know jack about the characters involved or the storyline this is a continuance of. But I had no trouble following what was happening, which for me is a good thing. It was mysterious, ominous and dramatic. And I really dug the line taken from 2001:A Space Odyssey.

JH's follow up episode was great too. It focused on one small group of people and had them work out what had just happened and what it might mean, and gave some perspective in relation to the overall storyline. Again, without knowing anything about this particular branch, I found the episode easily understandble, the characters intriguing and the dramatic mystery of the situation compelling.

In short, I liked both episode 28017 and 28032.

As for the strange messages being posted here of late, which if I'm not incorrect, stem from the creation of episode 28017, all I can say is, huh?

The last time I checked, MSG's vision for his Terra Prime saga was still alive, kicking and fully intact. The last time I checked, Knight Random was still a good writer with a lot of interesting and entertaining ideas. And the last time I checked this was an Addventure, as in, multiple stories with multiple divergent paths.

Has something changed around here that I don't know about? Dammit, I hate when that happens and nobody tells me! :wink:
JH

Post by JH »

Knight Random wrote:
JH wrote:Jarlath is married to both Astra 9 - a "standard" Astra except that she only looks 18 because she became a Champion at that age and Champions don't age after their 18th birthday - and to Annafrid. Annafrid was once a Fred, but was transformed by wizardry into a buxom, blonde knock-out of a woman with no memory of her old self.
Not exactly. Considering that Jarlath is Fred's brother, that probably wouldn't work out. :) But actually, if I remember correctly, Annafrid was some kind of construct who originally had the memories of Fred and some random peasant girl. MSG's web site would be the final authority, of course.

Yeah, I know, I'm taking a break from EAS to recover myself, but just for writing, not reading and commenting. If I stopped reading EAS, I'd get comletely lost, and nothing can chain my inner nitpicker. :)
You're quite right about Annafrid.
JH