17662: The consequensis of everything

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

ODS

17662: The consequensis of everything

Post by ODS »

this is my attempt at a good episode, how is it, am i as good as MSG :D .
Or better :shock: heh, just tell me if it's good or not.
JH

Post by JH »

Yes, it's good, but the bit in italics you took from a book, didn't you? Lovecraft, at a guess? Have you seen the bit in the Guidelines about copyright: http://www.sir-toby.com/extend-a-story/ ... lines.html If the work that you quoted from is still in copyright, then I'm afraid that wearing my Moderator's hat I'm going to have to ask that you remove the quoted material. Sorry.
JH
MSG

Post by MSG »

Yes, very good episode.

Don't think that, *if* the itallics were from something from HP that removing it is really necessary. Can't he just somewhere in the episode just give credit from where he got it?
MSG
JH

Post by JH »

I'm not a copyright lawyer, but if it's still in copyright then I don't think that attributing it would help if permission to quote hadn't been given. However, I've just found http://www.gizmology.net/lovecraft/copyrights.htm from which it appears that just about everything that Lovecraft wrote is out of copyright. So if my guess as to the original author being Lovecraft is correct, then ODS is probably in the clear.
JH
ODS

Post by ODS »

Yes part of it is taken from a book, but the rest is written by me, i put it in italics because it's Freds words. And national copywrite laws state that, if the person(s) give the right amout of credit to the aouthor, they are fine.
And whom is lovecraft?
JH

Post by JH »

And national copywrite laws state that, if the person(s) give the right amout of credit to the aouthor, they are fine.
I'm 99% sure that you're wrong about that. Since the author was obviously not Lovecraft after all, please can you say who it was and what book it's taken from.
JH
ODS

Post by ODS »

I stated in the episode that it is EAP Edger allen poe, although i am not sure which book it is, it was taken from one of my literature books, the book is skuffed up and is missing some pages, and has many tares in it.
I felt as though the first few paragraphs would be good to start me off in a new thred, i'm working on the next episode as we speak, all authored by me. I have a sevear case of writers block, and i sometimes need something to start me off, If you feel i "Have" To Edit it completely i will.
And the national copyright laws state, "all works published before the date of Jan. 1 1978, These works have been automatically brought under the statute and are now given federal copyright protection. The duration of copyright in these works will generally be computed in the same way as for works created on or after January 1, 1978: the life-plus-70.
Edger allen poe died in 1849, so there-for the copyright expired in 1919.
JH

Post by JH »

Since it's Edgar Allan Poe, then as you say there's no problem with it. I see you've now changed your sig for the episode to mention that it's by EAP, but I don't think that you said so anywhere originally.
JH
ODS

Post by ODS »

That is true, i edited it after you posted.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

ODS wrote:And national copywrite laws state that, if the person(s) give the right amout of credit to the aouthor, they are fine.
Uh, no. If a work is currently protected by copyright, say the latest Harry Potter book for instance, I can't copy the whole book and get away with it merely by crediting the original author. Now, if I were to write a review of the latest Harry Potter book, I would be well within my right to include small portions of the book as part of my review. This is called Fair Use. However, even in this case I would still need to give credit to the original author.

I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as professional legal advice.
ODS

Post by ODS »

Yes after researching the copyright laws, i found that is wrong.
But still, i can copyright a section of a book, only, if that book's copyright has expired, in this case The Pit and the Pendulum, by edgar allen poe, edgar died at the age of forty, in the year 1849, as i stated above, and the copyright laws state that i am able to copyright a portion of it.
The duration of every book published after 1978 is the life-time of the author,+ 70 years, nomatter what. and before 1978, is life of the author + 70-100 years, but still even if it was 100 years, the copyright would have expired 1919 to 1949. but it is still illegal(Depends most of the time.) to copy the whole book, or at least most of it. i only did about one page, of the very few pages my literary book gives.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Copyright law (in the US at least) sure is a huge mess, isn't it?

If the copyright on a work is expired, I don't mind if small portions of it get included in the story. However, I would prefer it if nearly all of the story was original writing. It's just safer that way.
ODS

Post by ODS »

It is a mess, But google helps^_^ :D
Anyway, as i said, i usualy need somehting to start me off in a thred.
And nothing seemed to catch my eye. their all good episodes, but all of them seemed to hard to contenue.
anyway, happy thanksgiving everyone.
I'm glad this mess is over with.