Something different

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

ODS

Something different

Post by ODS »

I'm a bit bored right now, so i thought i'd see how everyone likes my episodes.
Please give a 0/10 score, and also tell me if i need to add anything(Humor, blood, more battles.ect.)
ODS

Post by ODS »

Come on, i need to know if i suck or not.
Anableps

Post by Anableps »

You are not too bad - I did extend one of your episodes (see 33458).

If I were to make one suggestion, I would recommend that you go back over your old episodes and look for mistakes. This is not a specific criticism of you; I would give this advice to anybody. The nice thing about the NEQ is that if you have cookies enabled, you can edit your old episodes for thirty days. I do not take advantage of this feature enough myself. Not only do I find spelling and grammar errors in my stories where I thought none existed, but I also find that I can often remove words and the story reads better.

Also, if nobody extends your story right away, do not be alarmed. There are 2-6 authors that are active at any one time, and they are working with a large number of story lines to extend, which is a natural consequence of this type of format. And sometimes a storyline can be good, but just not inspire other authors to a continuation. For example, I shy away from fiction that is based on something from TV, movies, or video games, not because these are bad episodes, but because I know that I am out of my depth in trying to extend them. So if I am on the site, looking for something to extend, your episode could be a brilliant derivative of Star Trek or Farscape, but I would probably leave it alone - but you might have two or three authors who look for exactly those sort of episodes jump on them and extend them a week or two after you write them.

So, ODS, I would recommend that you continue writing if you are having fun. Do not be afraid of making mistakes, but keep experimenting.
JH

Post by JH »

A word of warning about editing your episodes after the event, though:

1. If somebody has already extended your episode, be careful that your changes won't cause continuity problems with what they've written.
2. People may remember - or even have copied to their own machine - the episode as first wriiten, and fail to notice that it's subsequently been altered. That can lead to their continuation episode having a continuity problem.

As to your writing, ODS, I'd suggest trying to concentrate on the action a little less, and on the description of the situation a little more.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Topic split...

Post by Sir Toby »

ODS, I split off your post about your problems creating an account to a seperate topic:

http://www.sir-toby.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=201
ODS

Post by ODS »

Thanks Sir Toby,
And JH, What do you mean by
"concentrate on the action a little less, and on the description of the situation a little more."?
JH

Post by JH »

I meant that as well as having exciting things happening in the episode, if you can it's a good idea to describe the situation that leads up to them and to flesh out the characters a little.
JH
Ib

Post by Ib »

Yes, sometimes the stuff leading up to the climax of a story is just as good as the climax of the story itself. Kinda like....ah, heh, nevermind....
ODS

Post by ODS »

No Ib, Do tell. :D
heheheh
JH

Post by JH »

ODS, it looks like you took what I said on board. I like your 34311 and 34316 a lot. I think they are the best episodes that you've written so far.
JH
ODS

Post by ODS »

Thanks JH,
It looks like i'm not leaving after all.
Oh well, more time to write episodes. :D
Ib

Post by Ib »

I would have to agree with JH. Excellent episodes.
ODS

Post by ODS »

Thanks,
I'm losing my pazazz,
I get a boost of talent every now and then,
It seems to be waring off
ODS

Post by ODS »

If anyone wants to continue those episodes, it would be fine, i am all out of ideas, so i won't be continueing them.
Ib

Post by Ib »

Well you've definetly got the thread on the right track. My head is spinning just trying to figure out what threads I'm going to extend. Anableps and JH have been busy beavers, with some great storylines to show for it.