Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Knight Random

Post by Knight Random »

This probably wasn't very good, as I'm not very good with fight scenes. :( But I should thank Anableps for an excellent setup. :) Anyway, it's amazing how much activity there was on the Terran threads not so long ago, and now they've kind of died down. I guess that's how this story is... But I remember not long ago there were some good threads, such as Betrayal By Moonlight, which were fairly constant. But now, there isn't really any thread like that except As The Fur Flies. What happened to Traveller, anyway? I'm sorry if I'm rambling, but it's fairly late and I'm quite tired after my first day of college.
JH

Post by JH »

I hope that the first day at college went well.

I think you've written an excellent episode. I like the way you interlaced paragraphs from the viewpoint of each competitor, and the insights that you gave into their characters. I'm another one who thinks that he can't write fight scenes, BTW.

I think the main reason that things are so quiet here is simply the time of year. Hopefully Ib, Ryu, Y and WolfRun will return before too long. Traveller has tended in the past to have periods of great activity followed by long fallow periods.

As for long-running threads, what about the thread that Anableps and I have going, whose latest episode is 31601? (I've also been waiting impatiently for Anableps to finish his long flashback sequence, so that we can resume the plot of the related branch wherein Astra has succeeded Belboz/Minestus as the dragon of the Southern Caves - see the plot summaries on Anableps' website for further details.)

One problwem with very long threads is that the dead weight of needing to maintain continuity makes each new episode harder to write than the last. You find that you have less and less freedom. Plus each new episode requires more and more rereading of the backstory to remind oneself of what happened. "Terra Prime" gets round that to some extent, by being a sequence of largely independent sub-stories involving some of the same characters. In a way, the approach is similar to that of Terry Pratchett in "Discworld".
JH
MSG

Post by MSG »

Hey, great episode there!

Keep up the good work!
MSG
JH

Post by JH »

One more thought, KR. If you like to see long-established threads kept going, then I'll remind you that it's your "turn" in the Belinda, Carola, Jarlath and Mattias thread. The current most recent episode is 25177. That thread has always been one of my favourites.
JH
Anableps

Post by Anableps »

As for long-running threads, what about the thread that Anableps and I have going, whose latest episode is 31601? (I've also been waiting impatiently for Anableps to finish his long flashback sequence, so that we can resume the plot of the related branch wherein Astra has succeeded Belboz/Minestus as the dragon of the Southern Caves - see the plot summaries on Anableps' website for further details.)
The flashback is finally finished! 32115 - last option - gets the reader back to the "present".
JH

Post by JH »

Excellent news! The flashback has been fascinating, but I'm glad that we're back with the plot.
JH