29185: The Tournament

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

JH

29185: The Tournament

Post by JH »

There have been some excellent episodes posted in the last couple of days. I particularly like Anablep's 29185, and his idea of a tournament. I was wondering how the three varieties of elf - or is it four varieties? - correspond to humans in terms of height and weight? Obviously they may have compensating qualities, such as speed and agility - and maybe some natural magical ability. Perhaps MSG, as the expert, could comment?

It will be interesting to see how Belboz and Jarlath, the human mages, get on.

One other thing: Fred is carrying an ankle injury and Checkers has a damaged wing, so they may be a little handicapped.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

BTW, I think I spotted one typo. I think when Fred says "killing" it should be "without killing".
JH
Anableps

Challenge of the Necklace

Post by Anableps »

Thanks, JH. I fixed the error that you mentioned, and polished other parts of the episode.

For those that have not been following the wallhugger part of the thread, Fred twisted or broke his ankle, and Checkers injured part of her wing/arm in killing the wallhugger.

Here are my thoughts on the injuries JH mentioned:

The requirement to tie a square knot will mean that to be successful, an opponent cannot be in a position to interfere with the duelist for a few seconds. Fred, even injured, could still close on his opponent while he or she is picking up the cloth. I believe that Fred is bigger and stronger than anyone else in the party, and so he stands a chance. Terin Gazin and Jarleth may be a match for him physically, and magic is always a wild card.

Checkers' injury is never specified, but it may be more of a severe bruise or break in one of the minor bones that are part of the wing structure depending from her arms rather than the arm itself. Checkers has the following things going for her - she has as good or better reflexes than the others, is immune to or distorts many magic spells, and that only Fred knows that she cannot fly, so the others have to take into account that she appears that she could grab the cloth and escape through the air. She has a disadvantage in that she is physically weak in the upper body, and if caught probably could be subdued easily.

Some of these duels could be very short, if one duellist has a decided advantage.
JH

Post by JH »

Tarin Gazin, once a dwarf, is an elf now, so I don't know whether physically he'd be a match for Fred. Jarlath is a mage rather than a warrior, and I wouldn't see him as particularly physically imposing. Astra 9 (I'm not going to attempt to spell the C word!) won't weigh quite as much as Fred, I would think, but as an amazon and having done a lot of training in all types of combat (including unarmed), I suspect that she'd have a fair chance against him. Annafrid, though good at armed combat, is a bit slightly built for unarmed combat, and her large breasts may be a handicap. Astra T would ordinarily have a good chance, but thanks to Belboz she now has bigger breasts and hips than she is used to. In this particular thread she is still wearing that perilously low-cut evening gown that Belboz conjured up for her.
JH
Anableps

Astra 9 Cistyrgia v Tarin Gazin 2

Post by Anableps »

I bumped this, as I see that there are some new contributers, and some established authors for the NEQ are contributing again. This might be a good branch for those who like to try their hand and write about one-on-one combat.

This is a branch of the story where a group of immortal Eternal Champions (see the As the Fur Flies website for details) are off on a quest. They are engaged in what should be a non-lethal challenge amongst themselves and four of the locals that are not sure that the Eternal Champions are as benign as they maintain. They eventually agree to join forces to defeat the dragon, and give the leadership of the party to one who can win a competition.

29185 sets the ground rules of combat, and 32990 is the latest entry, written by JH, where Lord Fred defeats one of the Eternal Champions. The next match is a version of Astra and a dwarf-turned-elf called Tarin Gazin.

The tale of the tape - Astra's people are trained in this form of combat from their youth, and being a large warrior princess, would be formidable in any case. Tarin Gazin, being an elf, may have an advantage in agility, speed, and perhaps magic, although I have not read any episodes where he uses magical ability. Being a former dwarf, and originally a villian, he may have staying power and cunning that one might not expect from an elf (although it would be out of character to have him do anything that is evil).

Some of the other authors may be able to provide further insight.
TCO

I'd love to, but...

Post by TCO »

It seems to be an interesting thread, but I don't think I'd be able to contribute anything worthwhile at the moment, since I haven't been adding to the NEQ for long.
...the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. - Dr. Who
JH

Post by JH »

TCO, please don't be too modest.

Anableps, that all seems spot on, except that unlike his analogue I don't think that this Tarin was ever a villain.
JH
Ib

Goodness

Post by Ib »

I have some catching up to do.